Duke Street before the Park Hill Flats

• 3 weeks later...
Hi rogG,

Born and lived on Duke St in the 50's and 60s.

Lived on the parade of shops that were below the Park Baths.

used to be a doctors surgery at the bottom of Hampton St as it was called then, opposite corner to the Salvation Army. Above doctors there was Hawnts Shoe shop, Clarks barbers, Knowles dress and fabric shop, painting and decorating shop, pie and pea shop, tobacconistshop, then newsagent on th top corner.

Pubs were Oddfellows above Norfolk picture house and Talbot INN on the top corner.

Got mega amount of memoried of the area, people etc before they built the flats.

PM me if you want more.

Is your brother called peter and did he go to Park County School .I have a photo of the swimmers and he is on it Also I recall watching the STANLEY MATTHEWS cup final on the telly at the shop on Duke St Iused to live on Rhodes St Can you remember GrahamWILKES;Eddie Motley

Is your brother called peter and did he go to Park County School .I have a photo of the swimmers and he is on it Also I recall watching the STANLEY MATTHEWS cup final on the telly at the shop on Duke St Iused to live on Rhodes St Can you remember GrahamWILKES;Eddie Motley

Hi Sandy, yep that's my brother, Peter went to Park County and was a good swimmer, competions and think he was in Sheffield water polo team as well. Remember Graham Wilkes, didn't he live at the sweet shop on the corner of Grafton St ?.

Couple of Pete's pals were Stan Piggot, Bobby Warnes.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Sandy, yep that's my brother, Peter went to Park County and was a good swimmer, competions and think he was in Sheffield water polo team as well. Remember Graham Wilkes, didn't he live at the sweet shop on the corner of Grafton St ?.

Couple of Pete's pals were Stan Piggot, Bobby Warnes.

Another of Petes pals was my cousin Harry Peck .Harry lived at Duke St flats ,opposite BERRY,S chemist

Philip B, I also lived on RHodes ST ,but a bit before your time. I am talking about 1935. I lived at No 13. it was a general shop. 1948 onwards I lived on Hampton St Very happy days to look back on

HI Milted I lived on Rhodes St ,1944_,till demolition .We lived in what was called the open yard,opposite what i think could be the shop that you had. Ican remember a lot of the names on that st if you are interested

I'm planning to write a book about my childhood experiences growing up in Sheffield during the post WW2 period: mid 40s to 60s. The backdrop of the city itself will not be the main theme of the book but it will be important for me to re-capture the essence of it so that the storyline will have context. That might seem difficult for me to do from over here in Canada where I've lived most of my adult life, but then, when I go bk to visit Sheffield, as I do from time to time, the Sheffield that I knew has gone anyway. Perhaps you can help me fill in some of the gaps.

My early childhood was spent in the Park district, Talbot Place, which runs off Duke Street (maybe where Duke St becomes City Rd). I remember Duke Street back then as being a really vibrant and charming neighbourhood shopping "strip." People went there to shop and socialize. At the top of the strip (side of the road where the Park Hill Flats were built) was the Norfolk Picture House, at the bottom was Gunstone's bakery. The opposite side of the street was book-ended by two pubs, whose names I don't remember.

But:

* What were the other shops on the strip? I know there was a fishmonger, because my grandmother was a friend of the proprietor, Rosie Wilde. I remember a store that sold cheap off the rack childrens' suits, which kids actually wore in those days.

* I remember there was a butcher's shop whose windows were covered with price signs done in a white marker that was easily rubbed off. As kids we used to wait until the shopkeeper wasn't looking then rub out selected letters, trying to make rude words out of them. Anyone know what the white marker was called?

Duke Street was a wonderful place.

I'd appreciate any feedbk. Thks everyone.

I lived on Rhodes St and have fond memories of the area even though the living acc. were slums.(see picture sheffield for examples) .Acouple of recollections are of a green three wheel van driven by a man called IKE GRAYSON who came round and sold vinegar from the barrel .ANOTHER man whosold oatcackes and pikelets from his butchers bike(the type with the basket on the front).A young man called Jesse who would bring a pony and two donkeys and charged 1d aride . I do,nt know if any of these people came round Talbot Place as this was considered a more posh area.

I do,nt know if any of these people came round Talbot Place as this was considered a more posh area.

interesting sandyb. ever thought of my grandparent's rented home as in a posh area. I don't think many of the people on that street actually owned the houses back in the 40s and 50s. There were a couple of families on the street who were the very opposite of posh. Alas their kids suffered from too much drinking by mum and dad and their homes were in a right state.

It may all have changed now though.

Talbot Place is handily situated for the downtown and the houses, all semis, are well built out of stone.

Hi rogG,

used to be a doctors surgery at the bottom of Hampton St as it was called then, opposite corner to the Salvation Army. Above doctors there was Hawnts Shoe shop, Clarks barbers, Knowles dress and fabric shop, painting and decorating shop, pie and pea shop, tobacconistshop, then newsagent on th top corner.

Pubs were Oddfellows above Norfolk picture house and Talbot INN on the top corner.

Got mega amount of memoried of the area, people etc before they built the flats.

PM me if you want more.

Hi PhilipB ,Just been looking at your old shop on Duke st,Its on http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk then type duke st .Look on page 16 at photo No:s14993

Hi rogG,

PM me if you want more.

The doctors that was at the bottom of Hampton St (which became Manor Oaks Road) is now the premises of the Castle Advice Service .

Archived