Piccalino's Restaurant Review

foodcritic

If you don't like the reviews then don't read them - I mean if you see Foodcritic has started a thread titles with a restaurant name, just surf on by!

He's obviously putting some time into providing some sort of service here on the forum, so why all the griping?

Service? There's a thread about Platillos, people went and passed on their thoughts, they didn't make themselves out to be jumped-up experts though.

Food Critic implies you're employed as an expert food critic. According to the Aroma thread this person is not.

Food 7/10

Service 4/10

Ambience 8/10

Total 19/30

Why only four for service? You hardly mention it apart from the fact you didn't book and had to wait. That is your fault not the restaurants. Try walking in to Ramsey at Claridges without a reservation! Can you divulge further the service experience you had and what you base it against?

Do you mean the Aroma thread where the owners/management took umbradge when a mere member of Joe public didn't give their restaurant top marks?

You don't have to be qualified to be a food critic. It is after all just a matter of opinion, just with any critical endeavour. Though some ability to convey ones opinion eloquently always helps.

And anyone can make a 'mistake', though it seems that whether it was a mistake or not is still hotly debated!

foodcritic.....i like your critique's - keep them coming.

Ive been to piccalinos about 4 times now, each time the service/food has been a little worse than the last time. When we first went (in their 1st week of opening!) it was fantastic, but our last time, quite simply the food was shocking.

My partner order off the specials - i think the name of it was something hog something (sry not to be more specific here) and quite simply he was given 2 slices of what can only be called school dinner pork!!!! for bloody £23 !!!! i personally wanted to complain, him indoors didnt want to cause a scene.....:rant: i ordered the veal escalope, that had far too much lemon on the coating.....it was a diaster.

needless to say......if i go back sometime again it needs to be an improvement on the last.....

If you don't like the reviews then don't read them - I mean if you see Foodcritic has started a thread titles with a restaurant name, just surf on by!

He's obviously putting some time into providing some sort of service here on the forum, so why all the griping?

I actually did want to read it, but thought it was overblown and full of itself. I'd not read one by him before so in the future I will surf on by. Thankyou for letting me know i can do this. Very informative.

And incidentally, I found it quite amusing that a food CRITIC couldn't take criticism himself. It works both ways.

foodcritic.....i like your critique's - keep them coming.

Ive been to piccalinos about 4 times now, each time the service/food has been a little worse than the last time. When we first went (in their 1st week of opening!) it was fantastic, but our last time, quite simply the food was shocking.

My partner order off the specials - i think the name of it was something hog something (sry not to be more specific here) and quite simply he was given 2 slices of what can only be called school dinner pork!!!! for bloody £23 !!!! i personally wanted to complain, him indoors didnt want to cause a scene.....:rant: i ordered the veal escalope, that had far too much lemon on the coating.....it was a diaster.

needless to say......if i go back sometime again it needs to be an improvement on the last.....

See now this sort of 'review' I can read, it's personal, informal and doesn't read like an english essay - I love nice food, love good restaurants, but hate all the pomp and snobbery that goes with it, hence I couldn't even be bothered to put myself through all the guff that the OP embellished their effort with.

See now this sort of 'review' I can read, it's personal, informal and doesn't read like an english essay - I love nice food, love good restaurants, but hate all the pomp and snobbery that goes with it, hence I couldn't even be bothered to put myself through all the guff that the OP embellished their effort with.

That's fine, I'm not saying you're wrong for not liking it, just why so much negative whinging about it?

Like me mum always said, if you haven't anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Do you mean the Aroma thread where the owners/management took umbradge when a mere member of Joe public didn't give their restaurant top marks?

You don't have to be qualified to be a food critic. It is after all just a matter of opinion, just with any critical endeavour. Though some ability to convey ones opinion eloquently always helps.

And anyone can make a 'mistake', though it seems that whether it was a mistake or not is still hotly debated!

Nope, you don't need to be qualified but then I didn't say anything about qualifications; you hit the nail on the head with the Joe PUblic thing though - foodcritic is exactly that but - IMO - makes themselves out to be something else, a voice of authority or something.

As I mention above - no need for the over-complication of these things, however complex the process of creating a dish is, at the consumer end it's a case of liking it or not so I don't see why people can be considered 'experts' in eating food.

Perhaps this isn't aimed solely at FoodCritic, I just have an issue with critics in general making a career from being opinionated about what's good and bad about (insert topic: tv/food/wine/travel etc).

Edit: FoodCritic, you don't need to PM me, whilst I agree that the "if you don't like it, don't read it/bitch about it" rule applies, if you don't like people discussing your 'work' then don't put it in the public domain. If you're entitled to your opinion on restaurants then I'm entitled to have mine on your reviews.

At the risk of being very controversial Martin Dawes review in tonights Star is exemplary, in my opinion. No condecension, no cheap jibes, no up himself with being clever, some of the 'London' critics are verbose to the point of rendering the actual review useless. AA Gill and Jeremy Clarkson often use 80% of the column space to have a rant about something completely unrelated to the restaurant/car being reviewed.

Apart from the ability to pay for these meals and the time to go and eat them could I ask 'foodcritic' what journalistic or other food related qualifications he has?

Archived