Piccalino's Restaurant Review

foodcritic

// A waiter was taking our order and one of the diners dropped their napkin. Not only did the waiter not make an effort to pick it up but it wasn't replenished with a clean one.

LOL - my god, I would have been outraged.

I'm guessing you one of those customers that thinks the staff in a restaurant should be your personal slaves for the night, "Could you unfold my napkin for me ?", "Could you floss my teeth for me ?", then at the end of the meal you claim the service was terrible and don't leave a tip.

LOL - my god, I would have been outraged.

I'm guessing you one of those customers that thinks the staff in a restaurant should be your personal slaves for the night, "Could you unfold my napkin for me ?", "Could you floss my teeth for me ?", then at the end of the meal you claim the service was terrible and don't leave a tip.

Personally it depends on what sort of experience the restaurant is aiming to offer. But in general the role of a waiter is a service role. Therefore they should offer a service. I can't abide waiting staff who are grumpy, insolent, unfriendly and lazy and then expect a tip.

It is a common curtesy to pick up something a customer has dropped. I mean if you were stood up near someone who was seated and dropped something, its just a courtesy to pick it up so they don't have to stand up.

Waiting staff in a restaurant that seems to present itself as a classy establishment should be able to manage at least common courtesy in their service.

Good service is a funny thing. You often don't notice them doing it, but it just generally adds to the good feeling of an evening/experience. However when its not done well then it can be glaringly obvious.

Good service is a funny thing. You often don't notice them doing it, but it just generally adds to the good feeling of an evening/experience. However when its not done well then it can be glaringly obvious.

I agree but most people can manage to pick their own napkin up, or ask for a fresh one.

"Why sir, I seem to have dropped my napkin"

Nick2 you completely miss the point. It's not expect a personal slave for the evening. It's about complete guest satisfaction. When a customer walks through the door they expect a minimum. They expect to be served with a smile and the waiter to smile and their food to arrive in decent time.

What what about Sheffield trying to push a few boundaries, and this isn't in context to fine dining. For a city with 650'000 (+) people we have not ONE restaurant in the good food guide. What a shambles. Why can't we attract culinary skill like Anthony from Leeds, given Leeds his home town but who and when will SHEFFIELD be put on the gastronomical map?

By being more demanding which we all (the public) are becoming we inadvertently move things forward which is what it's all about.

Nick2 you completely miss the point. It's not expect a personal slave for the evening. It's about complete guest satisfaction. When a customer walks through the door they expect a minimum. They expect to be served with a smile and the waiter to smile and their food to arrive in decent time.

I just think the napkin comment was a bit petty and pretentious, a case of finding falult for the sake of it. 99% of people wouldn't have cared let alone commented on it in a review.

Archived