Driving in Sheffield in the mornings this week.

scottf

Of course it is. Because when schools on, no parents take their kids in the car do they!

Try re-reading my second paragraph and don't partially quote me.

I never said people don't drive their kids to school. I said the school run doesn't add to the rush hour queues, the holidays reduce them - or do you have evidence that all parents drive their kids to school via the main roads into the city, which is where the traffic queues are.

EDIT: If the rush hour is caused by the school run, why doesn't the morning rush hour not start until 8.30am, which is when most school will allow kids to start going unto the grounds, and start at 3pm when they all come out in the afternoon?

The rush hour is caused by a lot of people trying to get to and from work at approximately the same time. If people are off, there are less heading to work. As most parents have to take their holidays during school holidays, the reduction in traffic is noticable.

It's common sense and logic, nothing more.

I never said people don't drive their kids to school. I said the school run doesn't add to the rush hour queues, the holidays reduce them - or do you have evidence that all parents drive their kids to school via the main roads into the city, which is where the traffic queues are.

EDIT: If the rush hour is caused by the school run, why doesn't the morning rush hour not start until 8.30am, which is when most school will allow kids to start going unto the grounds, and start at 3pm when they all come out in the afternoon?

The rush hour is caused by a lot of people trying to get to and from work at approximately the same time. If people are off, there are less heading to work. As most parents have to take their holidays during school holidays, the reduction in traffic is noticable.

The rush hours is a combination of both.

Its just far worse when the schools are in term time.

Try driving down Fullwood Road in term time and outside term time, between 8-9am any morning of the week. The difference is massive.

I think it's a combination of both to be fair Rinto, hunters bar is full of parents and kids in cars waiting to turn left at the roundabout, even at about 7:30am when Ally drives down that way, but I accept that a lot of parents take time off in the holidays, which also helps a lot.

Simple solution - ban breeding. ;)

The Mornings are better when the kids are off.....However, I work other side of Meadowhall and I'm sure all Parents take their nippers there for the day and decide to head off home at rush hour :loopy:

Well why don't you - for example - meet up with a mate for a drink so that you miss the rush hour, then leave an hour later when the traffic's cleared?

Archived