Tramways Pub, London Road

plholder2

It'd be a shame if it was knocked down. It's looking a bit forlorn these days but it's part of the history of the area and could be made into a good pub/bar by someone with a bit of vision. London Road could do with it.

I remember sitting in the back room and some down-at-heel type people would often wander in with carrier bags of random items nicked from Safeways and try to sell them - items such as tins of beans.

• 11 months later...

Barlows own the property and its not for sale or let as they will be redeveloping the site.

Due to the econmic climate they have suspended their plans and put on hold.

As a friend of mine contacted them to turn it back into a pub.

They were selling knock off goods in the 80's, as for the comment about the no of wetherspoons there must be 8 or 9 now in Sheffield now so 10 is just round the corner!

Absolutely, and the latest is the next one is going to be at Handsworth.

It looks in a sorry state these days, used to be one of many good pubs on London Road.

It's always been a dump, My biggest memory of the Tramway was then Birmingham City absolutely smashed it to bits in 85 I think, being a Wednesday fan I thought it was funny lol.

• 4 months later...
It's always been a dump.

I thought it was a decent pub back then but I must have lower standards or the mind is playing tricks.

My biggest memory of the Tramway was then Birmingham City absolutely smashed it to bits in 85 I think, being a Wednesday fan I thought it was funny lol.

You really disliked that pub didn't you?

It's always been a dump, My biggest memory of the Tramway was then Birmingham City absolutely smashed it to bits in 85 I think, being a Wednesday fan I thought it was funny lol.

As funny as the United pub "Legends", now that is a dive :)

Have to admit, how would you have been able to tell if the Tramways had been "smashed to bits"?

Iv been inside of the Tramway early this year its in a poor state now. It closed around 2005 the owner is Barlows they planned to knock it down but as of yet havent. The wall seating still there but riped the central bar is still there too, it has two rooms. Dont know what the upstairs is like wasnt allowed up. People have asked Barlows for a lease on the pub in fact a Sheffield couple wanted to reopen it as a real ale house but was turned down. Its a shame its a nice building but in fairness cost a fair amount to put right.