Malton Pub Mowbray Street

parkwooder

Hiya Swervin,

You were nearly right, it was a big back yard at the Wheatsheaf with a couple of stables one with a horse which did belong to a rag and bone man but it was'nt the landlord, it belonged to Bill who lived (I believe in a small row of terraces just below "The Stag"). Bill always had is pint in the Wheatsheaf, I can remember his pint pot, hexagonal and had a picture of a foxhunter on it. His weather beaten face was like an aerial photo of Castleton but what a wonderful character. When Bill walked in we listened, just listened and there was a good few of us, he took you back to an age and a part of Sheffield no longer in existence. People (rep's etc) came to Bedfords just to go for a pint in't Wheatsheaf and listen to Bill ramblin' bout t'old days.

regards

Hiya Swervin,

You were nearly right, it was a big back yard at the Wheatsheaf with a couple of stables one with a horse which did belong to a rag and bone man but it was'nt the landlord, it belonged to Bill who lived (I believe in a small row of terraces just below "The Stag"). Bill always had is pint in the Wheatsheaf, I can remember his pint pot, hexagonal and had a picture of a foxhunter on it. His weather beaten face was like an aerial photo of Castleton but what a wonderful character. When Bill walked in we listened, just listened and there was a good few of us, he took you back to an age and a part of Sheffield no longer in existence. People (rep's etc) came to Bedfords just to go for a pint in't Wheatsheaf and listen to Bill ramblin' bout t'old days.

regards

Hi Neil

just wondering if you may remember my dear old dad (R I P)

Jack Baxter used to love a singalong on the sharabang to lincoln for fishing He used to love it. also Bert Corbridge,Douggy Tansley Ted Baxter they are my uncles all regulars in the wheatsheaf

Hiya Swervin,

Funnily enough I did'nt meet many of the the Wheatsheaf regulars purely because I lived in Meersbrook and worked at Bedfords Mon-Fri (sometimes Saturday Morning but if we had a drink on Saturday lunch on our way home it was either at the Malton or Manchester but if we had a pint during the week it was always the Wheatsheaf, lunchtime only, in fact during the week, we were the "not so real" regulars and did'nt have the pleasure of meeting up with the "real regulars.

regards

Archived