Finding the time and state of mind to write!

TheRedWizard

Help, I'm finding it impossible to find the time or state of mind to write fiction. It's maybe because I write a great deal for work and can't turn off when writing anything else, or just because I haven't found that trick that will put me in a writing mood.

Any thoughts?

In the meantime, maybe a future writing challenge will allow me to expand on the bizarre trapped/ghost/'picture-tells-a-thousand-words' fusion that is currently occupying a dusty corner of my desktop!

I know exactly what you mean Redwizard, I’ve been struggling with the same problem for the last few weeks, like any problem it helps if you break it down into manageable chunks.

Finding time even with a full time job an average day may consist of eight hours at work & another eight asleep, that still leaves a further eight hours to do other things, watch TV, hobbies etc.

The trick is to claim back some of that time for writing – have a look at your day and try to grab back just ONE HOUR per day and try to dedicate it to writing.

This is harder than it looks; particularly when your family want your attention but you’ve got to tell them when the study door is closed they must leave you alone to get on with your writing. (suggest you also read Stephen Kings book ‘On Writing’ which covers this aspect in more detail)

State of mind Now this is more difficult, basically you have to discipline yourself to write regularly – avoid distractions (“I’ll just check what’s going on t’forum…four hours later…) try to use your time productively, I don’t know if you like planning your work or whether you just write spontaneously but use the system that works best for you.

A good idea is to carry a reporter’s notepad, the type with a spiral wire at the top, to jot down ideas and notes during the day, especially during travelling time on a bus or when you are stuck in the waiting room at the dentists.

When you refer back to your notes you’ll be surprised how quickly the story develops in a more structured way, it’s almost a subliminal process, you ‘daydream’ the plot, the characters, perhaps even specific phrases, then when you refer back its all waiting for you…and its time to roll up your sleeves and get typing.

I’m looking forward to the bizarre trapped/ghost/'picture-tells-a-thousand-words' fusion :hihi: I’ve Just checked my ideas list – I’ve got 37 prospective stories to complete, although not all of them will make it.

Here’s my current top 3, if you or anyone else wants to have a go at writing a story based on these ideas then please do!

1. “The Time Telescope” – a scientist invents a special lens that can look back in time when it is cooled and into the future when it is heated. – does he solve an old murder or use it for his own gain?

2. “Electric Shark” – The US navy develop a reconnaissance shark for sneaking into harbours and tracking ballistic missile submarines – it develops into a sentient creature and rejects its creators, preferring the company of a pod of dolphins that befriend it.

3. “The Wargamers” – two old university friends meet up on the opposite sides of the table during a peace conference that is deadlocked, rather than initiate a real war that will result in the death of thousands of their countrymen they decide to settle their differences by a wargame, just like they did at uni…

Hope this helps, I'm really looking forward to seeing your writing.

I know exactly what you mean, it is now 2:15 am, I have just finished some art work and I thought I would have a quick look at SFWG before I try and get some Zzzz's.

I have no problem with state of mind it's the bloody time I don't have. "who invented the 24 hour clock?" Anyway night night if you are still up.

I have no sympathy for people who can't find the motivation to write: it just means less competition for me! Seriously, if you want to be a professional writer sometimes you HAVE to write, whether you want to or not. You have to get used to sitting down and forcing the muse to visit you. Otherwise you're never going to get things finished.

As for the electric shark idea: did you know that in the Gulf war, dolphins were trained to plant mines onto ships? I don't think they were ever deployed--things ended too soon--but the training was there. And have you read The Raw Shark Texts? Wonderful book.

Hi Peacock Lady,

Yes I read about that, I’ve done some background research particularly about how sharks can ‘see’ by detecting tiny electrical charges within a part of their brain called the ampullae of Lorenzini

My story is based upon a true research project, some more info HERE

I can’t help wondering if they would encounter the same problems the Russians had when they tried a similar project during WW2, basically they trained dogs to carry an explosive mine underneath the advancing German tanks, once there a magnetic switch would then blow the tank, plus the poor mutt, to kingdom come.

The trouble is, the dogs were trained using Russian tanks so rather than hiding under the Tigers and the Panzers they would run under the nearest T34 instead. :D It wasn’t a great success.

Thanks also for the book suggestion, it looks intriguing -like ‘Jaws’ meets ‘The Matrix’ to quote one review - a copy is on its way to me right now via good old Ebay.

For any one else interested here on some links.

The raw shark texts

Scotland on Sunday review…..Chapter 1…..Chapter 4

coyleys, you're so right. after the uni work, and the mundane business of day to day humdrum-honey how was work? tell me about it. checking e mails, cooking etc- i've been up for 18 hours and though there's all these ideas bubbling in my head the body is in full mode mutiny. you start typing typing as tugjgn!

then comes the days when for some reason the clock gives you 36 hours and your body wants to but your mind has digressed to the cave man era where all you want to do is scratch your balls and laugh at the people on darwinawards.com.

what i do sometimes, though, is if i can't write, and there's none of my own work to go revise or whatever-which is almost never!-i read other people's short works and then try to compose my own interpretation of them. doesn't always work. but it helps towards the good old 'a writer must write everyday' shtick.

Archived