The Fosters - Tower Block at High Green

I have been documenting all the remaining 20th Century Tower blocks in Sheffield over the last couple of months in a new website.

20th Century Sheffield Tower Blocks

And I have come across the early 1960s block at High Green called "The Fosters".

The Fosters

But unfortunately there is not much information about this one because it is out in the lovely Northmost district of High Green, which is seldom visited by most people.

I would like to know if anyone knows which year it was built, so I can add it to my main website link system. Any other info would also be appreciated.

there used to be 2 or 3 decent sized blocks of flats at chapeltown. knocked down late 80s if i am right?

You are spot on. There were three blocks of flats (approx 14 storeys each). Built by the former Wortley Rural District Council in the 1960's, their names were Hallamshire Court, Habershon Court and Britannia Court. They stood beside the swimming baths in Burncross Road. During their construction - one of the cranes toppled over, killing its driver. The site is now occupied by houses and maisonettes.

I have been documenting all the remaining 20th Century Tower blocks in Sheffield over the last couple of months in a new website.

20th Century Sheffield Tower Blocks

And I have come across the early 1960s block at High Green called "The Fosters".

The Fosters

But unfortunately there is not much information about this one because it is out in the lovely Northmost district of High Green, which is seldom visited by most people.

I would like to know if anyone knows which year it was built, so I can add it to my main website link system. Any other info would also be appreciated.

It's possible that the Chapeltown and High Green Archive Society could help you with the construction date of the High Green flats. I know they were there in the late sixties when my cousin moved to Cottam Road. The Angram Bank estate (where the flats are) was built on the site of the old Potter Hill Army Camp. For years after WW2, people lived in the wooden huts there, and made really good homes in them.

You are spot on. There were three blocks of flats (approx 14 storeys each). Built by the former Wortley Rural District Council in the 1960's, their names were Hallamshire Court, Habershon Court and Britannia Court. They stood beside the swimming baths in Burncross Road. During their construction - one of the cranes toppled over, killing its driver. The site is now occupied by houses and maisonettes.

They were 11 storeys - I had to lug the milk up there when the lifts were out of action! :hihi: Reg Bellamy was the caretaker and the flats were built by RIMA. I took a load of photos as they pulled them down but can't find them now.......:(

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for putting me right.

Hi The flats at Chapeltown were completed in 1966 my grandfather Reg Bellamy was the caretaker there up until about two years before demolition. I seem to remember mention thet the Fosters at High Green were built around the same time. Unfortunately my grandfather is no longer with us but i think that I may have some of the old records relating to the flats at Chapeltown and High Green (including construction photos). I'll see if I can dig them out.

Archived