Using force against burglars

Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?

• Yes, get him before he gets you. Anything goes.
    • No, the existing law is fine.
    • No, we should offer no resistance.
    • Yes, but no unnecessarily gratuitous violence.

Sir John Stevens, chief of the Metropolitan Police, suggests the following :

"My own view is that people should be allowed to use what force is necessary and they should be allowed to do so without any risk of prosecution.

"There is a definite feeling around when I go out on the beat with officers and talk to members of the public that we need clarity in the law.

Full story at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4067681.stm

OK...what do people feel?

I'd like to see such a change in the law.

Joe

Personally, if some git was in my house and I snook downstairs and cought them I'd crack them with the heaviest thing I could find and ask questions later...

I dont see why we should have to just wait for the bugger to make an attempt to harm you before you can smash the bugger up a bit... afterall, they obviously had bad intentions from the start or they wouldnt be in your house trying to steal your DVD player now would they? :P

I believe there is a level of violence that should be a limit though, I dont think it would be right for someone to pull out a knife or a gun and kill or seriously injure a robber unprovoked... but a few kicks/punches or hits round the head/body with something is definitly ok in my books... I'm sure they'd do the same if it was you in their house :P

the poll should say "Yes, the existing law is fine", since you can use force to defend yourself or your property.

What the inspector seems to be saying is that he'd like to see the check of "reasonable" removed from the wording of the law.

Originally posted by IanMitchell

I think you should use force, but only to an extent like Xavier said.

No guns or knives but where do you draw the line?

if the guy is running at you with a knife, or about to shoot you, its fine to throw a chair at the git and risk doing some serious damage :P if you manage to grab the knife off him and he's definitly going to kill or mame you if he gets it back, its ok to slash the backs of his knees so he cant walk...

there are lines, but unless the person REALLY intends to mame or kill you then you should only use the amount of force it would take to make sure he doesn't leave, or that he leaves with a stonking headache and enough time for you to get a good picture of him in your head!

I was burgled a couple of weeks ago, and I can honestly say if Id caught the scrote at it, Id have beat the crap out of him first, and thought about the consequences later. IMO, they give up any rights they may have had the second they enter my house without my invitation.

Hi markham,

Yup, I did actually think about re-activating an old thread but felt that as this item from the head of the Met. was bound to feature on the news today I thought it appropriate for a new thread.

Perhaps we should just go to re-activating any old threads that have ANY bearing at all on isuses we may wish to discuss. That way we can avoid having to do the job of starting new threads at all and you won't have to remind us of previous threads.

Joe

Archived