Using force against burglars

Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?

• Yes, get him before he gets you. Anything goes.
    • No, the existing law is fine.
    • No, we should offer no resistance.
    • Yes, but no unnecessarily gratuitous violence.

When i see stories in the paper, of the homeowner might face jail time. Its ludicrous, I mean if a guy has my ps3 in his hand im hardly gonna offer him the missing controller am i?

The whole concept that you cant use excessive force on someone is crazy, lets just hope they bring this into effect..

When i see stories in the paper, of the homeowner might face jail time. Its ludicrous, I mean if a guy has my ps3 in his hand im hardly gonna offer him the missing controller am i?

The whole concept that you cant use excessive force on someone is crazy, lets just hope they bring this into effect..

You're allowed to clunk him on the head and take it back. You're not allowed to tie him up and stab him thirty times with a meat cleaver.

Are you saying that you should be so allowed?

You're allowed to clunk him on the head and take it back. You're not allowed to tie him up and stab him thirty times with a meat cleaver.

what a spoilsport......known burgalar robs house....next minute his house gets completely emptied of all its belongings.....is that justice....

I don't see why you shouldnt use a knife or a gun if you hold it legally. A knife would be the only thing I could think of to use in my house. I don't have a poker or a baseball bat. A kitchen knife is probably the best thing!

If you happen to be in the kitchen at the time, it's perfectly reasonable to grab a handily available knife and use it to threaten any burglars into leaving. If they don't leave, they become a threat to your person and it's reasonable to stab them with it. If you happen to nick an artery and they bleed to death, too bad. There will inevitably be a police investigation but you won't have committed a crime.

What wouldn't be reasonable is to keep stabbing them over and over with a clear intent to kill. The idea is to prevent them from injuring you, not to exact bloodthirsty retaliation.

Yeah, Just with a bit of sarcasm..

To tie him up etc, seems like to much hard work, just a knife or heavy dumbell would do.

Archived