Using force against burglars

Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?

• Yes, get him before he gets you. Anything goes.
    • No, the existing law is fine.
    • No, we should offer no resistance.
    • Yes, but no unnecessarily gratuitous violence.

if they are in my house I would happily stab to kill, I dont know why they are there or who is with them. As someone said above, I would rather face jail time than death or rape etc but why should I face jail time if I kill someone who has forced their way into my house, they shouldnt be there!

That depends on the situation doesn't it.

If you've just killed a small child or a confused alzheimers patient then you're probably looking at porridge. If you chase them from the living room and just manage to stab them as they are exiting through your window, again, it's the big house for you.

That depends on the situation doesn't it.

If you've just killed a small child or a confused alzheimers patient then you're probably looking at porridge. If you chase them from the living room and just manage to stab them as they are exiting through your window, again, it's the big house for you.

but I wouldn't stab them if they were exiting. The problem is if they come at you there is still the threat of prosecution.

how do you know that?

It's a logical tautology, it cannot possibly be false.

You're allowed to use as much force as is necessary to neutralise the threat to your property. If that can't be done short of killing someone, then you won't be charged with murder. If it could have been done, then you will.

but I wouldn't stab them if they were exiting. The problem is if they come at you there is still the threat of prosecution.

The threat of prosecution is right, but the expected outcome of acquittal is also correct.

Archived