Using force against burglars

Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?

• Yes, get him before he gets you. Anything goes.
    • No, the existing law is fine.
    • No, we should offer no resistance.
    • Yes, but no unnecessarily gratuitous violence.

Originally posted by slh73

I was burgled a couple of weeks ago, and I can honestly say if Id caught the scrote at it, Id have beat the crap out of him first, and thought about the consequences later. IMO, they give up any rights they may have had the second they enter my house without my invitation.

I agree, as soon as anyone enters my property illegally they should forfeit all rights.Unless they are illegal immigrants then they should be given free tools to do the job properly.Daily Express today- free driving lessons for illegals.

Sorry Ian, sorry Joe, wasn't trying to pick up on an old thread.

Just reminding those of us who think we should give the burglar a good pasting (me included)- when we can - what was said on a 'similar' thread, and some of the responses stating that we are just more or less 'macho' hard men/women who were all talk.

I appreciate that this is a different thread altogether.

:thumbsup:

What is reasonable force?

I'm a five foot tall size 8-10 female. Restraint is not an option. And how would I gauge the right amount of force to just put a burglar off? I'd have to strike first and do a lot of damage, if I wasn't to wind up coming off worst.

And I wouldn't fancy leaving my own house in a body bag.

Tony martin is an arrogant prig, but he stood no chance hand to hand with two fit young men. Has anybody lived anywhere rural? The average response time of the police is approximately two days!!!!!!! What else could he do?

He'd been burgled before. Who amongst us wouldn't take measures to ensure we didn't suffer next time??

Originally posted by Strix

What is reasonable force?

I'm a five foot tall size 8-10 female. Restraint is not an option. And how would I gauge the right amount of force to just put a burglar off? I'd have to strike first and do a lot of damage, if I wasn't to wind up coming off worst.

And I wouldn't fancy leaving my own house in a body bag.

Tony martin is an arrogant prig, but he stood no chance hand to hand with two fit young men. Has anybody lived anywhere rural? The average response time of the police is approximately two days!!!!!!! What else could he do?

He'd been burgled before. Who amongst us wouldn't take measures to ensure we didn't suffer next time??

not much danger of hand to hand happening when he shoots them in the back whilst running from his property is there?

That's why Tony Martin was convicted. Doing anything to someon running away (unless you are trying to restrain them for a citizens arrest) is not reasonable force as you are not in danger.

The question of what is reasonable, is the the exact problem with our self-defence laws. It is not set down on paper what you can do to defend yourself, and to be honest the onus being on the defender to moderate their force is in my opinion the wrong way round. Unfortuantely that's the way it is at the moment.

So if you believe that a burglar leaves all rights behind when entering your property (and you act on that one day) you could well find yourself behind bars.

Originally posted by Cyclone

not much danger of hand to hand happening when he shoots them in the back whilst running from his property is there?

That's why Tony Martin was convicted. Doing anything to someon running away (unless you are trying to restrain them for a citizens arrest) is not reasonable force as you are not in danger.

Easy for you to say whilst sitting in that comfy chair. I'd like to see you act that rationally in the exact same circumstances.Blind panic tends to take over somewhat.

An incident like this happening in a city like Sheffield would see the culprits leave and do something else. They were in the middle of nowhere. They're likely to have come back for round two, and Tony Martin was completely alone...

Just stand at the top of his stairs in his boots for a couple of seconds...................

Chilling, isn't it?

Originally posted by Strix

Easy for you to say whilst sitting in that comfy chair. I'd like to see you act that rationally in the exact same circumstances.Blind panic tends to take over somewhat.

An incident like this happening in a city like Sheffield would see the culprits leave and do something else. They were in the middle of nowhere. They're likely to have come back for round two, and Tony Martin was completely alone...

Just stand at the top of his stairs in his boots for a couple of seconds...................

Chilling, isn't it?

But showing them the gun obviously had the desired effect... they were running away. I think you should be able to defend yourself and your property, but when it comes to the point of someone running away from you and you thinking 'oh **** it, i'll shoot him anyway' then you need to be locked away for everybodies safety.

99.9% of burglars would run away if you simply turn on a light or bang a door... I'm not sure where the idea comes from that they are dangerous... how many people actually ever get attacked by a burglar?

If someone enters your home you have no idea what weapons they have concealed, so I believe you can use any force at your means to protect your family, home or yourself. Once they enter your property with out permission they have no rights if you enter a military installation they shoot first ask questions 2nd.

Archived