Using force against burglars

Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?

• Yes, get him before he gets you. Anything goes.
    • No, the existing law is fine.
    • No, we should offer no resistance.
    • Yes, but no unnecessarily gratuitous violence.

I'm sure a hammer to the guts was the appropriate response Obelix, I have my good friend Billy Baseball Bat for such eventualities and a blow to the nether regions would be just as effective as a blow to the head without the possibility of the sensational possibilities associated with the latter ;)

I must confess to my shame that I didn't hit him in the head because it'd make a right mess that I would have to clean up. I was aware that if I had hit him in the head it would probably have killed him - a 4lb lump hammer would do that easily. That didn't really figure much in the equation. He was there, he had a big screwdriver/jemmy and I couldn't get out. So I buried my hammer in his belly and I have to say again with a little shame most satisfying it was too to watch him crawl off whimpering.

They most probably are up to no good, but shooting people because they might be trying to steal your Barry Manilow CD collection is a bit over the top in my opinion.

As I noted above in the case of a lost neighbour. OK it's different if someone forces your front door but enough force to make them leave or cease threatening you - nothing more.

I must confess to my shame that I didn't hit him in the head because it'd make a right mess that I would have to clean up. I was aware that if I had hit him in the head it would probably have killed him - a 4lb lump hammer would do that easily. That didn't really figure much in the equation. He was there, he had a big screwdriver/jemmy and I couldn't get out. So I buried my hammer in his belly and I have to say again with a little shame most satisfying it was too to watch him crawl off whimpering.

Ive never found myself in such a situation Obelix so it's interesting to hear that even during a scene of high emotion you were able to rationalise the consequences of a blow to the head compared to one to the stomach, I'd like to believe I could respond in the same way if the occasion ever arose.

You can pat yourself on the back to for lamping him and deriving pleasure from it, I don't think that's a particularly unreasonable response-my mother often boasts that she would squirt the contents of a bottle of Encona Hot Pepper sauce into the face of an uninvited guest, she wouldn't want them dead-just the pleasure from seeing them uncomfortable :hihi:

Ive never found myself in such a situation Obelix so it's interesting to hear that even during a scene of high emotion you were able to rationalise the consequences of a blow to the head compared to one to the stomach, I'd like to believe I could respond in the same way if the occasion ever arose.

You can pat yourself on the back to for lamping him and deriving pleasure from it, I don't think that's a particularly unreasonable response-my mother often boasts that she would squirt the contents of a bottle of Encona Hot Pepper sauce into the face of an uninvited guest, she wouldn't want them dead-just the pleasure from seeing them uncomfortable :hihi:

:love: My kind of lady! We had some neighbours when I was young who came from Trinidad and she cooked the most amazing chilli crabcakes with that stuff, followed by fermented coconut ice cream. It'd do a good number on a burglars eyes to be sure :hihi:

Archived