Using force against burglars

Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?

• Yes, get him before he gets you. Anything goes.
    • No, the existing law is fine.
    • No, we should offer no resistance.
    • Yes, but no unnecessarily gratuitous violence.

Originally posted by Greenback

It's the broader principle that I'm talking about - the implication that it's fair to kill anyone who interferes with your property.

that may be what you`re talking about but it`s completely different to what everyone else is talking about.

We are talking about people ENTERING your property as in house! not fetching a ball from in the garden which happens to most of us on a daily basis.

If you wouldn`t mind someone entering your property at night when you`re in bed and stealing things that you have worked hard for or harming yourself or your family then fair enough but i`m afraid you are probably the only one.

Originally posted by xafier

Personally, if some git was in my house and I snook downstairs and cought them I'd crack them with the heaviest thing I could find and ask questions later...

I dont see why we should have to just wait for the bugger to make an attempt to harm you before you can smash the bugger up a bit... afterall, they obviously had bad intentions from the start or they wouldnt be in your house trying to steal your DVD player now would they? :P

You don't have to wait for them to attack you, the defence of self-defence covers pre-emptive self-defence. So as long as you can prove that a reasonable person would have acted in the same way as you did, ur fine!

Originally posted by Leigh

You don't have to wait for them to attack you, the defence of self-defence covers pre-emptive self-defence. So as long as you can prove that a reasonable person would have acted in the same way as you did, ur fine!

Isn't pre-emptive self-defence also called "attacking" ?

Originally posted by Greenback

"Reasonable" force may not sound very fair, but ultimately it protects the homeowner.

Reasonable force is OK for those able to excersise it; but what of the old and infirm who would probably come off worst if they tackled a burglar ?

CS, pepper sprays and cattle prods are illegal as far as the ordinary citizen is concerned, but there are some things that can be effective in deterring and incapacitating someone coming at you with intent. A CO2 extinguisher might work and can do little permanent damage other than frostbite. A can of acetone paint spray perhaps ? I imagine catching that full in the face would stop most people in their tracks.

Any other ideas ?

Originally posted by nick2

Isn't pre-emptive self-defence also called "attacking" ?

Reminds me of the definition of diplomacy :

"Saying here doggy, nice doggy, there's a good dog....whilst looking around for a large rock."

:)

Guest poppins

I suppose it's quite easy to say what we would do, bit different when the time comes, i just hope if it ever happens to me i get up the nerve to use my loaded gun i keep in the house, i'm not against killing anyone, just aiming right would worry me.

Ok, lets give the names and addresses of all the do gooders to the local violent burglars who would rob their granny for their next hit, then video the response they would get from the perpetrator when they try to "talk and understand" the burglar!

If the clinks are too full, the rozzers too overworked and the legal system is useless to protect us then our natural instinct is to protect ourselves. In this day and age people could be in your house for any sort of reason, we are not in an era where the burglar is just a petty thief after a few quid...look at what happened to that banker in London last week...Luckily I have not had to confront an intruder yet but I can guarantee you that I would mess him up...i know people say that you dont know what you would do until the event, but if you are scared for your life then you go into overdrive...as per tony martin....and anyone who says he did wrong by shooting a pikey with 50 odd previous offences whilst in his teens must wear dungarees and work for the social services....its a pity he didnt take fearon out as well

Archived