Using force against burglars

Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?

• Yes, get him before he gets you. Anything goes.
    • No, the existing law is fine.
    • No, we should offer no resistance.
    • Yes, but no unnecessarily gratuitous violence.

I think these threads are only started so people can live-out their private S&M/torture/violence/power fantasies.

If some of you guys realy would do some of this stuff to another person then you need help.

i don't think your percentages are born out by the evidence Tony. There are quite a few instances of householders being injured after attempting to 'deal' with a burglar. So these people were obviously willing but not capable. And for everyone of those that makes the news i expect there are a lot more that take place.

What do you think most people would do, hear a noise late a night, hide in the bedroom rather than going to investigate?

Originally posted by Cyclone

i don't think your percentages are born out by the evidence Tony. There are quite a few instances of householders being injured after attempting to 'deal' with a burglar. So these people were obviously willing but not capable. And for everyone of those that makes the news i expect there are a lot more that take place.

I would say only if I had a chance to overcome a burglar then I would attack.

If I was face to face with him I wouldn't, he could be armed or anything and I value my life more than a few possesions.

Wouldn't you agree Cyclone?

Originally posted by Cyclone

if you come face to face though isn't the burglar likely to attack you, so you'd be better of using the element of surprise (and the baseball bat you carried downstairs) than hesitating, no?

lol

I'd cross that bridge when I come to it. :lol:

Sadly I wouldn't have a baseball bat cause I don't own one.

Originally posted by Wattsy

I know and seen plenty of kids out at 2 & 3 in the morning they need a good clout.

yes it seems to be a craze lately, wait til mum and dad are in bed then sneak back out.

This happened somewhere nearby recently and a neighbour who was in bed was woken at two in the morning , the kids had set the bin on fire and pushed it up to the house and the front porch was all black and smouldering, she has kids and was in bed if she hadn`t heard them the house and her family would be no more.

Originally posted by nick2

I think these threads are only started so people can live-out their private S&M/torture/violence/power fantasies.

If some of you guys realy would do some of this stuff to another person then you need help.

Maybe we should go to the same psychiatrist that the ones who say 'we should let them go unharmed' are attending, eh?

Protecting your family, property, peace of mind etc. has nothing to do with 'torture' or 'power fantasies', it's about dealing with a vermin who is out of control and is preying on YOU!

I agree that a lot of people who say they will give them a good beating if they catch them might hide when really confronted, but isn't this about what we think OUGHT to happen to these scum? What most of us hope WILL happen to these scum?..... and most of us will congratulate someone who actually does something to these scum?

It's a bit presumptious to think that we will consider these thieving scum to be 'people'. The old lady, in hospital fighting for her life, is a PERSON, so how can the dirtbag who put her there also be considered a person? That's an insult to the old lady!

Archived