Using force against burglars

Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Should householders be able to use any force to repel intruders?

• Yes, get him before he gets you. Anything goes.
    • No, the existing law is fine.
    • No, we should offer no resistance.
    • Yes, but no unnecessarily gratuitous violence.

Originally posted by Cyclone

maybe leaving the house through an alternative exit

How about leaving your own home to go hire a van, then giving the villans a hand to load up!!! :roll::wink:

To all those who do not agree with the "get in first and give it good n hard" side.

How many of you have actually been turned over by one or more of these low life scroats?

How many of you would like to see (as we do so all too often in the press/TV news etc) your grandparent beaten to a pulp for the remainder of their pension?

How many have partners or parents you would put in danger?

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE KIDS???

The safety of my Daughter and her Mother will always be paramount.

IT'S MY FAMILY, MY HOME, MY PROPERTY.

SCUMBAGS YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!:rant:

Originally posted by dial

now would that be a ball at teatime?? or maybe a ball at two in the morning?? Get real and at two in the morning it`s more likely to be a brick.unless of course you`re in the habit of leaving all your windows open 24 hours a day.

It could happen.

how about you avoid quoting me out of context.

Someone asked for an alternative strategy to confronting a burglar, I offered one. I didn't suggest that it would be one I would prefer, use or recommend.

Originally posted by claycraft

How about leaving your own home to go hire a van, then giving the villans a hand to load up!!!

To all those who do not agree with the "get in first and give it good n hard" side.

How many of you have actually been turned over by one or more of these low life scroats?

How many of you would like to see (as we do so all too often in the press/TV news etc) your grandparent beaten to a pulp for the remainder of their pension?

How many have partners or parents you would put in danger?

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE KIDS???

The safety of my Daughter and her Mother will always be paramount.

IT'S MY FAMILY, MY HOME, MY PROPERTY.

SCUMBAGS YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!:rant:

What I'd like to do if we ever got a burglar, is simply nut him and let the police deal with it.

What always happens when I think I have a burglar, is I pick up my machete and run downstairs with red in my eyes :)

Originally posted by markham

Protecting your family, property, peace of mind etc. has nothing to do with 'torture' or 'power fantasies', it's about dealing with a vermin who is out of control and is preying on YOU!

So all the "I would pull their fingernails out", "I would tie them up with barbed-wire" and "I would shoot them in the knee caps, then tie them up in barbed wire and then pullout their fingernails" sounds ok to you ?

Protecting your family and yourself with violence is one thing, but doing it with glee and thinking-up weird and wonderfull methods of execution is at best a bit kinky and at worse perverted and dangerous.

In my opinion.

This is an emotve subject and it's difficult to be rational when you have been directly affected.

I disturbed 3 lads climbing in through my bathroom window at 5 am about 10 years ago. They knocked at the door very quietly at which point I woke up, saw them through the window and at this point tried to wake my boyfriend up (he is a very heavy sleeper). I then got the oven cleaner spray with all intention of using it but panicked when I realised they were already inside. Luckily our bathroom door had a sturdy bolt on the OUTSIDE so I bolted them in the bathroom and yelled 'they're already inside'. They scarpered leaving their crowbar behind and I was too scared to go to the phonebox to call the police for hours.

I'm just glad I am a light sleeper, I could have blinded someone that night- but when you're woken up suddenly and scared I don't think you can be held responsible for your actions.

I have been burgled several times, each time in broad daylight, it's bad enough when they take electrial equipment but when it's more personal (they took hundreds of rare irreplaceable 12" records once) the effects can be devestating. I suffered terribly from panic attacks and depression as a direct result and, at that time, somehow sought comfort in the thought of making these scum suffer. I really do think that at the point that they decide to illegally enter your property they leave all their rights behind.

Archived