Annie Judge, wife of Thomas

SueCreasey

Annie Judge was my great-grandma and for the 1901 census lived at 84 Mushroom Lane, Netherthorpe with her husband Thomas and their 8 children. The 4 oldest children had been born in the USA in Philadelphia PA when Thomas was working there in about the 1880's. Annie came from Retford, Notts and I have a feeling that they may actualy have met and married out there too. Does anyone know anything about this part of my family, especially Annie's maiden name and details of their marriage? Thank you for your help.

I am very interested in family history and have had a look around but I can't find anything about their marriage - it perhaps would be a good idea to find the birth of one of their children and send for a birth certificate that will give you Annie's maiden name. I will keep looking.

Thanks for this so far. It's nice to know there are people out there willing to help. I'll certainly try sending for a birth certificate - are you guaranteed to get the mothers maiden name on it? Would love to hear from anyone who might know the family.

You usually get the mothers maiden name and former name if she married twice - its the father thats often missed off!!! I have access to loads of census records send me a pm if you require other information I maybe able to find something.

I was wondering why young Annie was on the 1891 census but not on the 1901, and found a death registered for an Annie Judge age 3 Jun Qtr 1892 9c 271 at Sheffield. She was buried at Wardsend Cemetery 29th April 1892.

I also found a baby called Arnold Judge age 1 month died at 84 Mushroom lane, buried on October 23, 1900 in Consecrated ground; Grave Number 17675, Section CC of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield. This appears to be a common grave, as was usual for infants, as there are 28 other occupants in the grave, none with the same surname.

On the 1871 census, Thomas is living with his aunt and uncle near Hull, his name is given as Thomas Alfred Barker Judge, age 13. There is a birth registered under this name in Jun qtr 1858 Sheffield 9c 193

On the 1881 census he is apprenticed to a blacksmith, still living in Hull, his occupation is Blacksmiths striker.

On the 1861 census he is age 3 living in Sheffield on West John Lane, with his father J John Judge, his mother Rachael Judge and two siblings. His father is a crucible maker.

The John J may be a mistranscription as there is a John George Judge and a Rachel Barker on the same page of the GRO index of Marriages (there are 4 names per page) in Jun qtr 1856 in Sheffield 9c 360.

Archived