Family Tree - Stephenson

caronlel

I have been trying to trace my family tree and have drawn a blank on my mums side - I can only get as far back as my grandparents and unfortunately, all the ones who could maybe advise are long gone. My maternal grandmother was called Laura Winifred (maiden name unknown) and married Joseph Henry Stephenson in 1927 (?). I know that he was born in 1909 and she was born in 1911. Her mother married twice I believe, hence the maiden name problem. Both were Sheffield born and bred. My grandad went on to have a career as an accountant before retiring around 70 years of age and my nan was something to do with "finishing" at Roberts & Belk before her retirement, again, around 70. Sadly, my grandad died in 1984 and my nan followed in 1986. Does any of the above sound familiar to anyone?

They are definately the ones - my grandad was born February 3rd 1909 and died April 17th 1984 and my nan was born March 8th 1911 and died September 16th 1986.

Yes, she was only 16 when she married and I think it would have been a bit of a family scandal at the time as she was 6 mths pregnant - go nan, you saucey lady! :hihi:

I looked at this one last night and the only marriage I could find around the given time was a Laura THOMPSON to a Joseph H STEPHENSON...registered Sheffield December 1930 ref: 9C page 1253.

As you have the dates of birth...you could obtain the birth certificates by applying to Sheffield Register office..this will give you the maiden name of Laura's mother...and if she was married twice it should also list her previous married name.

Tuppie

Ahh, this could be where it gets complicated..... as I said, I believe her mum married twice so, if my nan was born a Griffiths it looks as though she took the name of her step-father. I think my nan and grandad were married around December 3rd 1927 - the month and year I know but for some reason the date fails me, sorry. The child born on March 21st 1928 would have been Laura and they went on to have a son, Stanley (d.o.b. & d.o.d. unknown), another daughter Marjorie (b. 24.09.35 - d. 01.05.86) and another daughter Maureen (b. 08.05.37 - d. 17.04.02)

Hi.

It's not complicated it is just a matter of elimination...and also proving the information you have been given is correct.

The information I gave you for the marriage appears to be the correct one. I was told that my mother married at the age of 18, in fact she was 21......so bear in mind that peoples recollections of dates are not always correct.

These are births registered in Sheffield and Ecclesall Bierlow and the only one where the date is out is Laura who was born in 1931 not 1927. This appears to be the correct family and the number of matches from the information you posted has convinced me.

March quarter of 1931 Laura STEPHENSON mothers maiden name THOMPSON reference Ecclesall Bierlow 9c page 576.

December quarter 1932 Stanley STEPHENSON mothers maiden name THOMPSON reference: Sheffield 9C page 696

Dec quarter of 1935 Marjorie STEPHENSON mothers maiden name THOMPSON reference Sheffield 9C page 571

June quarter 1937 Maureen STEPHENSON mothers maiden name THOMPSON reference: Sheffield 9C page 686

Kind Regards

Tuppie

Hmm, I see what you mean - many thanks for that. So, it seems that the information I previously had is 3 years out but the bit that was correct is that she was definately 6 months pregnant when she got married. Given the moral standards of the time I would have thought it would be this bit that was "covered up"...... unless that's where the dates have become an issue, making it seem like they had been married for 3 years before a child was born into the family. Either way it's all very intriguing!! :)

Archived