Wardsend Cemetery - again

Me and my dad went up there a month or so back, never even knew the place existed lol. Got some great photos though. Photos here http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=12490 if anybody's interested.

That's a great link, and the photos are very good. I didn't know there was a railway running through it, which came first I wonder?

• 4 weeks later...

locksley brill photos I'm in there regular with my two dogs, not a deal of wildlife in there, perhaps the odd rabbit or two, used to go in there with mates with air guns, years before Coopers was there, brings back memories of ill spent youth, caught many a couple at it in there by accident.

That's a great link, and the photos are very good. I didn't know there was a railway running through it, which came first I wonder?

The railway was there when the older part of the cemetery was opened in 1857, between the railway and the river. The extension on the other, uphill, side of of the railway was opened in 1900.

...and just to clarify the questions about ownership from earlier messages:

Wardsend is a church cemetery. It was the burial ground for St Philip's and when that church closed it was 'inherited' by St Stephen's. It was managed for a time by the Friends as part of the Hillsborough Trust(?), which is now defunct. Recently, attempts have been made to persuade the council to take it over.

Hugh

Archived