Old bus routes of Sheffield- information needed

foxydebs

On 20/08/2015 at 07:48, FoBLL said:

85 To Gainsborough ran until 1986 and was every 2 hours daily from Sheffield to Gainsborough

The No: 20 that you can't remember was probably the No: 20 that was introduced in 1968 and ran to Southey Green to complement the No:97 but ran through part of Pitsmoor ie: Ellesmere Road-Scott Road. I can't recall where the other end of the route was.

4 hours ago, St Petre said:

To get to Penistone Road from Moonshine Lane (2 or3) the buses would go down- Herries Road towards Wednesday's ground, was there a regular stop on that stretch?

As I recall the No2 stops after Moonshine Lane were Crumpsall Road (Request) , Galsworthy Road (close to the No 63 Terminus), Wordsworth Avenue (Request?), 5 Arches ( for  football specials) , then Bus Garage

4 hours ago, St Petre said:

The No: 20 that you can't remember was probably the No: 20 that was introduced in 1968 and ran to Southey Green to complement the No:97 but ran through part of Pitsmoor ie: Ellesmere Road-Scott Road. I can't recall where the other end of the route was.

Hemsworth - John O'Gaunt PH  via The Moor - Heeley - Derbyshire Lane- Norton Lees Road = Warminster Road- Hemsworth Road and Blackstock Road.

6 hours ago, St Petre said:

To get to Penistone Road from Moonshine Lane (2 or3) the buses would go down- Herries Road towards Wednesday's ground, was there a regular stop on that stretch?

In the 1960s I used to get the No 2 regularly from a stop at the bottom of Penrith Road (opposite Galsworthy Road). There was another one opposite Wordsworth Avenue, another just below the Five Arches on Herries Road and one opposite Herries Road bus garage (this would be the "Penistone Road" fare stage as the bus went from there on to Leppings Lane).

6 hours ago, Thorpy said:

Hi Hillsboro,

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted. Once again you've come up with the goods, as I guessed you would!

Best Wishes, T.

Glad to be able to help a little! 🙂

Looking at hillsboro's listings, it seems I was wrong about the no 2/3 going on Langsett Rd. From Moonshine Lane I guess it went down Herries Rd, then through Owlerton Green to Holme Lane. 

I presume the Stages are the stops where the fare increases, there must have been many more "request" stops in-between.

54 minutes ago, carosio said:

Looking at hillsboro's listings, it seems I was wrong about the no 2/3 going on Langsett Rd. From Moonshine Lane I guess it went down Herries Rd, then through Owlerton Green to Holme Lane. 

I presume the Stages are the stops where the fare increases, there must have been many more "request" stops in-between.

From Herries Rd it went via Leppings Ln, Middlewood Rd and right turn into Holme Ln which was legal at that time.

1 hour ago, alexander874 said:

From Herries Rd it went via Leppings Ln, Middlewood Rd and right turn into Holme Ln which was legal at that time.

Thanks. From that I think my mother and I would've caught a Stannington bus from Langsett Rd to Malin bridge then caught the 2/3 to just after the "S" bend where our allotment was. Inbound, I think there was a request stop outside the entrance to Glen House (opposite allotments) and we knew when the bus was due as you could see the top of it as it travelled down Manchester Rd from the Bell Hagg; you can't do that now due to the trees.

• 6 months later...
On 21 July 2013 at 15:17, multipede said:

I was a bus enthusiast back in the early 1950s, when the Nether Green school bus was an old Crossley attempting to get up Coldwell lane in the snow...lol!

It was an interesting time when we had beautiful Corporation royal blue lining and cream base.

I knew EVERY bus route but I may have forgotten some....

Here goes... (97% started in "City", which could be a variety of terminus areas such as Leopold Street, Midland Station, etc.

1 Firth Park-Hillsborough

2 Outer Circle

3 Outer Circle

4 Firth Park - Wincobank?

5 Southey Green - Attercliffe

6 Dinnington

7 Stannington

8 Inner Circle

9 Inner Circle

10 Peter Street

11 Dronfield

12 Chesterfield

13 Wisewood vi Dyke Hall Road

14 Wisewood via Malin Bridge

15 Kiveton Park

16 Bradfield

17 Unstone

18 Worral and Oughtibridge

19 Dinnington

20 (Can't remember)

21 Swallownest

22 Holmesfield

23 Woodhouse

24 Tinsley

25 Handsworth via Beighton

26 Killamarsh

27 Ringinglow

28 Bents Green

29 Blackburn

30 Eckington (via Frechville...I THINK)

31 Lower Walkley

32 Woodhouse

33 Hemsworth

34 Graves Park

35 Hollythorpe Rise

36 Batemoor

37 Bakewell via Baslow

38 Low Edges Road

39 Manchester via The Snake

40 Can't remember

41 Can't remember

42 Fox House

43 Woodthorpe?

44 Bamford

45 Totley

46 Darnal

47 Derwent

48 Manchester via Woodhead

49 Wordsworth Avenue

50 Dore

51 Lodge Moor

52 Wyming Brook

53 Thorpe Hesley

54 Rivelin Dams

55 Crosspool

56 Wybourne

57 Stocksbridge

58 Thorpe Hesley

59 Can't remember

60 Fulwood

61 Nether Edge (citywards of 98 which changed its blind at Southey Green)

62 Green Hill

63 Shirecliffe

64 Ewden Valley Village

65 Barnsley

66 Bradford

67 Leeds

68 Penistone

69 Rotherham

70 Wombwell and Upton

71 Prince Of Wales Road?

72 Castleton

73 High Green / Chapeltown

74 Millhouses

75 Firth Park

76 Darnall

77 Doncaster

78 Penistone?

79 High Green

80 Grenoside?

81 Ecclesall Road

82 Ecclesall - Middlewood

83 Birley via Base Green

84 Buxton

85 Retford & Gainsborough

86 Stubley

87 Maltby

88 Fulwood - Malin Bridge

89 Yew Lane

90 Ecclesfield via Grenoside

91 Grenoside

92 Manor Park

93 Stradbroke

94 Ewden Valley Village?

95 Walkley (Tinker Lane or South Road) - Intake

96 Charltonbrook

97 Southey Green

98 Southey Green via Longley Lane

99 Chesterfield

100 (Never was one)

101 Gleadless

102 Gleadless

105 Arbourthorne

106 Can't Remember...(something Thorpe Colliery, maybe?)

107 Dungworth

110 Parsons Cross?

116 High Bradfield

117 Loadbrook

120 Parsons Cross?

152 (I once saw this going to a school between Wyming Brook & Lodge Moor)

(a few more in the hundreds...but escaping me)

(There were several workmen buses from Firth Brown's, etc. with numbers I can't remember now.)

Hope this helps!

There was a number 36 that went to Heeley Green in the 1947/48