Motorcycle CBT Test and buying a second hand bike

MIKE BARLOW i highly recomend in dronfield i had GREAT and awesome time !! :D i did my CBT there a week ago and the instructors are very good and had a right laugh with them :P

Mike Barlow

Motorcycle Training

Beech Works

Stubley Hollow

Wreakes Lane

Dronfield

S18 1PN

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I also had a bad experience with Bikesafe. I 'failed' immediately as I struggled with balance and turning in a figure of 8. OK, this was embarrassing but I had never been on a bike before and just needed a little practice with it, but no time for that. I had failed. I was told to ride around that cone for a while and then sent away. Nobody fails their CBT? Yes they do.

That was a couple of years ago and now I'm hoping to try again - but certainly not with them! All I need is a little time to get the feel of the bike. This is frustrating because you are not legally allowed to do this, say in a car park on Sunday morning or on a quiet lane somewhere prior to the CBT (what an ass the law is). I do not want to thrown another £100 down the drain on another CBT if I am no better. I could do with a pre-CBT tester or something if this exists or a decent CBT training. Any suggestions?

I always wanted to learn to ride a motorbike, what are the costs involved? I have held a full car license for nearly 5 years, but I can't afford a car right now, and just wondered how much it would cost to learn to ride a motorbike (and buy a cheap second hand one also)?

You still have to do a CBT, that's about £100. Tax and MOT and petrol is cheap. Insurance I believe not too bad probably close to £100 but depends naturally. Call that about £250. Helmet, shoes, jacket etc, maybe £150. £400ish. It depends on what you want to pay for a bike of course. I've been looking at Honda CG125s. You could get a good second hand one between £500-1000. So at the cheapest you are looking at about a grand, but more likely a bit over that. This is what I work it out as. I've never had one though of course.

---------- Post added 31-12-2012 at 01:21 ----------

I also had a bad experience with Bikesafe. I 'failed' immediately as I struggled with balance and turning in a figure of 8. OK, this was embarrassing but I had never been on a bike before and just needed a little practice with it, but no time for that. I had failed. I was told to ride around that cone for a while and then sent away. Nobody fails their CBT? Yes they do.

That was a couple of years ago and now I'm hoping to try again - but certainly not with them! All I need is a little time to get the feel of the bike. This is frustrating because you are not legally allowed to do this, say in a car park on Sunday morning or on a quiet lane somewhere prior to the CBT (what an ass the law is). I do not want to thrown another £100 down the drain on another CBT if I am no better. I could do with a pre-CBT tester or something if this exists or a decent CBT training. Any suggestions?

I'm bumping this up already. Any help? I really want to ride a motorbike and need your good advice.

I had a look at Bikesafe and walked away. They seemed disinterested, too impersonal and had a take it or leave it attitude. There's something about them you can almost sense - like a bad smell.

I also rejected the guy who was up at the old Norton [barage balloon] Airfield. I settled upon a one man set up [ can't remember the details now ] in Armthorpe Doncaster. Great guy, patient, not about the money and an excellent instructor.

I passed and he got me through my nemesis - the up-turn.

I had a look at Bikesafe and walked away. They seemed disinterested, too impersonal and had a take it or leave it attitude. There's something about them you can almost sense - like a bad smell.

I also rejected the guy who was up at the old Norton [barage balloon] Airfield. I settled upon a one man set up [ can't remember the details now ] in Armthorpe Doncaster. Great guy, patient, not about the money and an excellent instructor.

I passed and he got me through my nemesis - the up-turn.

Yes I know what you mean with Bikesafe - horrible attitude. I'm still hoping to do a CBT so if anyone else knows a good one then please post away. Ideally, I would would like to do a feeler session before the CBT so if anybody knows a place that does that then that would be even better.

I'd highly recommend MJW motorcycle training, and KK rider training, and that's coming from someone who's ridden on Ls for 7 years, and done 4 cbts before finally doing the full test .

http://www.mjwmotorcycletraining.com/

http://www.kkridertraining.co.uk/

I'd steer clear of bikesafe and ATB, for various reasons I'm not prepared to go into on a public forum

Archived