What martial art should I take up?

in answer to your question Anvil

how many fo sheffields kickboxing clubs compete in full contact kickboxing?

and im talking proper full contact bouts not those patehtic excuses of figths that are only staged between different branches of the same club (mentioning no association)

the guys at the sheffield kickboxing club on the website compete in both Full contact (american kicboxing)= long pants and boots , kicks above belt

as well as in thaiboxing (in shorts without boots)

If you doubt wether or not what we do is proper kickboxing , then why dont you come and see for yourself?

Originally posted by Freddylee

Full contact kickboxing... as in, tap each other on the forehead (wearing headguard) then legging it to claim a point? Think I'd prefer boxercise :hihi: (Just pulling your leg).

To the original poster:

Obviously I'm gunna say Wicker Camp doing Muay Thai would be the best, but I'm biased :)

I've also had good feedback from people about JKD at Source, Meadowhall with jay_kd from the forum, as well as Lau Gar Kung Fu with Adrian Abdulla.

GazB

Gaz B

tapping someone on the forehead is SEMI contact point fighting Nothing at all to do with kickboxing

Even though a lot of clubs sell that semi contact point fighting "tag playing " rubbish as "kickboxing"

Really though wicker camp is THE best for Muay thai.

But as for Full contact kickboxing Gaz B :

Full contact involves using ALL boxing punches to face and body (most full contact matches are without headguard unless its in the amateur tournament )

as well as full powered kicks to body and head. There is no reason why a thai boxer should not be able to compete in kickboxing full contact fights.

Personally i rate Jay-Kd at the source i have trained there in the past.

Lau Gar , i have reserved judgment on simply because of the "tapping them on the headguard then legging it to claim a point " stuff

LOL

But then again different strokes for different folks

Again id prefer boxercise to point/touch/tag sparring

Originally posted by Freddylee

in answer to your question Anvil

and im talking proper full contact bouts not those patehtic excuses of figths that are only staged between different branches of the same club (mentioning no association)

the guys at the sheffield kickboxing club on the website compete in both Full contact (american kicboxing)= long pants and boots , kicks above belt

as well as in thaiboxing (in shorts without boots)

If you doubt wether or not what we do is proper kickboxing , then why dont you come and see for yourself?

Freddy

i have no idea how many of Sheffield's kickboxing clubs compete in full kickboxing, how many are there?

i don't doubt the ability of anyone at the club, indeed i'm aware of the chief instructors ability as we have a mutual acquaintance, however it does say on the website that they teach a blend of boxing, muay thai, jui-jitsu and tkd, which, having witnessed some kickboxing fights at concorde sport centre, would have been a lot more appealing to myself. are you saying that this is not the case and it is 'pure' (for a want of a better word) kickboxing that is taught, or is the website correct and it is indeed the blend specified?

1. mutual aqcuaintance? so you know someone who knows Farhad ? I know he holds a title in some sort of full contact kickboxing i.e. one that allows kicks to the legs and i know that he beat a thaiboxer for it.

2. Concorde Sports centre EMA tournament is a bad joke and little or nothing to do with Full Contact kickboxing. The EMA tournament is all on mats i.e. not in a ring, there is no rounds everything is done in 1 min and 30 secs (which to me shows no test of stamina) .

Full Contact Fights are 3 rounds of 2 minutes in a boxing ring just like in a thaiboxing show.

I have no idea why tournaments like what you mentioend have the cheek to call themselves anything to do with kickboxing.

3. what is taught :

Well Farhad is a kickboxer and he is always quick to point this out . But since he ahs also trained in Taekwondo and we have also had a fair few Taekwondo black belts grace us with their prescence, hes very quick to "steal" certain tricks off them. As for Muay Thai there has always been a heavy Muay Thai influence on the club , but that would be due to Andy Marlow passing a lot on to Farhad.Also due to Farhads links with Sandy Holt (http://www.thaiboxing.co.uk).

The Ju jitsu element i.e. the ground grappling is always down to A guy we have called Sajad whos only a little fella but he cant half grapple! In fact, on monday we concentrated mainly on Groundwork and how to escape from someone trying to take you down! Obviously Farhad took a back seat and let sajad do all the work :P

4. Pure full contact kickboxing

A large portion of the time is spent on Bagwork (boxing style) padwork on the thaipads and focus mitts oh yeha and then theres those focus mitts which him and milad (the younger trainer) hit you back with!!! You dont keep your guard up you get smacked theyre kinda like a focus mitt with a boxing glove all in one.

Oh yeah and then theres sparring. You can either do light sparring with the less experienced people or Full power sparring against the fighters (obviously you dont get me sparring with full contact figthers im too pretty for that ****!)

Pop in and have a look mate

Archived