Is it just me that's bored of electro?

discodown

Deep house, tech house, electro house, my house is better than your house. What is going on?

Since the early 90's there's been a real need to pigeon hole everything and everyone associated with the house music scene. When I started getting into the scene in about 87 you either listened to house or techno. The only real difference was in the bpm. There were electronically tinged house tracks and also some quite soulful techno. I remember mixmag printing an article about 'style tribes' in about 94. Basically it said you could spot people's musical interests by the way they dressed. According to mixmag I would have been a junglist/crusty/glam/casual depending on which day of the week it was. At this point you could see the way things were going. From then on the splits became even more diverse. Just take a look at the list of genres now on beatport, it's enough to make you go dizzy and actually makes finding a good tune nigh on impossible.

I've got tunes from possibly every genre of dance music there is out there at the moment. I hate the terms 'funky house' and 'electro house' if a tune isn't funky or electronic then it's probably not house music. These are terms coined to sell dance orientated pop music to the masses. As it all continues I find myself pushed more and more twoards 'proper' techno as it's probably the only true 'underground' genre that exists at the moment. I don't mean Sven Vath's 'sexy' techno for the ibiza masses I mean proper Detroit/Jeff Mills/Underground resistance tackle.

I think the one thing that summed it all up for me was a couple of weeks ago at the Warehouse project. Francois K was just coming to the end of his set. He'd played at around 134bpm all night then at the end he drops one of the most awesome gospel acapellas you've ever heard. All these people are going round in pure amazement saying 'how good is this, Ive never heard anything like it before'. My point is, that's what DJ's used to do before they had to fit in a pigeon hole to get booked. All the American guys used to veer from proper head down chicago beats to full on vocal/gospel in the space of 2 hours. No one ever tried to pigeon hole them.

Phew. Cue the abuse.

Deep house, tech house, electro house, my house is better than your house. What is going on?

Since the early 90's there's been a real need to pigeon hole everything and everyone associated with the house music scene. When I started getting into the scene in about 87 you either listened to house or techno. The only real difference was in the bpm. There were electronically tinged house tracks and also some quite soulful techno. I remember mixmag printing an article about 'style tribes' in about 94. Basically it said you could spot people's musical interests by the way they dressed. According to mixmag I would have been a junglist/crusty/glam/casual depending on which day of the week it was. At this point you could see the way things were going. From then on the splits became even more diverse. Just take a look at the list of genres now on beatport, it's enough to make you go dizzy and actually makes finding a good tune nigh on impossible.

I've got tunes from possibly ever genre of dance music there is out there at the moment. I hate the terms 'funky house' and 'electro house' if a tune isn't funky or electronic then it's probably not house music. These are terms coined to sell dance orientated pop music to the masses. As it all continues I find myself pushed more and more twoards 'proper' techno as it's probably the only true 'underground' genre that exists at the moment. I don't mean Sven Vath's 'sexy' techno for the ibiza masses I mean proper Detroit/Jeff Mills/Underground resistance tackle.

I think the one thing that summed it all up for me was a couple of weeks ago at the Warehouse project. Francois K was just coming to the end of his set. He'd played at around 134bpm all night then at the end he drops one of the most awesome gospel acapellas you've ever heard. All these people are going round in pure amazement saying 'how good is this, Ive never heard anything like it before'. My point is, that's what DJ's used to do before they had to fit in a pigeon hole to get booked. All the American guys used to veer from proper head down chicago beats to full on vocal/gospel in the space of 2 hours. No one ever tried to pigeon hole them.

Phew. Cue the abuse.

Well said :thumbsup:

2 topics come to mind here

Firstly we shall start with Electro. In my eyes there will only be one style that is Electro and that is mid 80's Electro funk (Zapp, Midnight Star, O'bryan, Parliament, Shannon etc) or Hip Hop (Hashim, Cybotron, Newcleus, Bambaataa.)

Word!

I have to admit, the last time I went out, I was invited to an "Electro" night... So, thinking it was an old school night, I got my old Adidas tracksuit out (back of the wardrobe), shelltoes, etc. All pumped up hoping they'll be some other B-Boys (and Fly girls) in the house, reminiscing about one nation under a groove, y'know, doing a bit of uprockin', breakdancin', lockin' and shockin', etc.

I've never felt so cheated! (Maybe I need to quit living in the past, but what DJ4321gsr mentioned is my history too!)

Come back Mike Allen's Radio show - National Fresh Hip Hop Show :(

Btw - WYEXILE - Well said. :)

Electro 9 was the best...

Doug e fresh & the get fresh crew - the show

Bad boys featuring k love - bad boys

D st - the home of hip hop

Kid frost - terminator

The world class wreckin cru - world class

Mantronik - needle to the groove

Fat boys - the fat boys are back

Rock master scott & the dynamic three - the roof is on fire

... Mantronik is my personal fave.

Then there was

CRUCIAL ELECTRO

Tyrone Brunson - The Smurf

Warp 9 - Light Years Away

Warp 9 - Nunk (New Wave Funk)

Man Parrish - Hip Hop, Be Bop (Don't Stop)

Herbie Hancock - Rockit

Twilight 22 - Electric Kingdom

Cybotron - Clear

Hashim - Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)

Captain Rock - Return Of Captain Rock

Time Zone - Wild Style

what do you mean by electro? to me it could mean any number of vastly different things...

kraftwerk, the human league, caberet voltaire etc.

or

new rave, indie bands with synths and glowsticks

or

electro house chav fodder that you get on compilations from djs that used to play funky house and ibiza tunes before they fell out of fashion.

or

maybe everything that is'nt oasis/ stone roses indie rock with guitars and real drums...

help me i'm confused :help:

I think he means option 3....

I quite like that Born Slippy mix thats been doing the rounds lately mind, Dave Spoon - At Night and the Touche mix of Dance I said STILL get me going, but I realise they are the biggest of all electro anthems, and have been around for 18 months or so.

I reckon house with trance tinged elements will be the next big thing.

I think he means option 3....

I quite like that Born Slippy mix thats been doing the rounds lately mind, Dave Spoon - At Night and the Touche mix of Dance I said STILL get me going, but I realise they are the biggest of all electro anthems, and have been around for 18 months or so.

I reckon house with trance tinged elements will be the next big thing.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what they would currently call 'progressive' house?

Isn't that what they would currently call 'progressive' house?

Which brings us back full circle then because the prog scene as it was (Sasha & Digweed, Dave Seaman, Renaissance, Bedrock, Space etc...) died a death about 4 years ago when everybody decided to jump on the electro bandwagon. I always knew it would make a comeback and so it has proved. Only now it has more of a tech/electro house feel to it.

So now I think you can call it progressive-electrotech-trance... house.

I'm confused! :gag:

And round and round it goes.........

At the end of the day there is a finite number of sounds and beats you can make in a studio so every new genre is just a reinvention of a previous one. I bet you could play two hours of tunes from say 88 to 93 and 90% of people would have no idea. Even acid has had a bit of a revival over the past year or two (not that it ever went away in my opinion).

Archived