Is it just me that's bored of electro?

discodown

Which brings us back full circle then because the prog scene as it was (Sasha & Digweed, Dave Seaman, Renaissance, Bedrock, Space etc...) died a death about 4 years ago when everybody decided to jump on the electro bandwagon. I always knew it would make a comeback and so it has proved. Only now it has more of a tech/electro house feel to it.

So now I think you can call it progressive-electrotech-trance... house.

I'm confused! :gag:

Me too Smithster:shocked:! I stepped back from the computer many posts ago and let the big boys duke it out. It's really interesting reading though. Never thought I'd see 'Midnight Starr' and 'Babyface' mentioned here (what about 'Starpoint' anyone?). Definitely agree that those were the true RnB days.

I love genres within genres, but agree they can be self-defeating.

*Steps further back from the computer:wow:*

But then any RnB purist would argue that true Rhythm and Blues originated around the late 40's/early 50's then really took off when it went mainstream (and white) in the 60's with bands such as the Rolling Stones, The Animals, The Yardbirds etc.

See what I mean? Each generation thinks it's invented the latest thing but any current genre can be traced way back to find its original roots.

For the benefit of Steve DD, house music is basically electronic disco.

I love it! I've started a thread where there are people actually discussing calmly and rationally their likes and dislikes. Everyones being adult and reasonable. We are almost one nation under a groove!

All the people i expected to contribute have done and i'm pleased about it. I'm also chuffed that in the main people agree with me.

In my opinion electro is going the same way as disco and we know what happened there as the great George Clinton said when asked about disco "the problem started when they narrowed it down to one sound, one groove. Try making love using one stroke. Talk about get on your nerve!" Essentially electro is too samey samey and getting dull because of it

P.S. Wyexile - i know what house is!

Deep house, tech house, electro house, my house is better than your house. What is going on?

Since the early 90's there's been a real need to pigeon hole everything and everyone associated with the house music scene. When I started getting into the scene in about 87 you either listened to house or techno. The only real difference was in the bpm. There were electronically tinged house tracks and also some quite soulful techno. I remember mixmag printing an article about 'style tribes' in about 94. Basically it said you could spot people's musical interests by the way they dressed. According to mixmag I would have been a junglist/crusty/glam/casual depending on which day of the week it was. At this point you could see the way things were going. From then on the splits became even more diverse. Just take a look at the list of genres now on beatport, it's enough to make you go dizzy and actually makes finding a good tune nigh on impossible.

I've got tunes from possibly every genre of dance music there is out there at the moment. I hate the terms 'funky house' and 'electro house' if a tune isn't funky or electronic then it's probably not house music. These are terms coined to sell dance orientated pop music to the masses. As it all continues I find myself pushed more and more twoards 'proper' techno as it's probably the only true 'underground' genre that exists at the moment. I don't mean Sven Vath's 'sexy' techno for the ibiza masses I mean proper Detroit/Jeff Mills/Underground resistance tackle.

I think the one thing that summed it all up for me was a couple of weeks ago at the Warehouse project. Francois K was just coming to the end of his set. He'd played at around 134bpm all night then at the end he drops one of the most awesome gospel acapellas you've ever heard. All these people are going round in pure amazement saying 'how good is this, Ive never heard anything like it before'. My point is, that's what DJ's used to do before they had to fit in a pigeon hole to get booked. All the American guys used to veer from proper head down chicago beats to full on vocal/gospel in the space of 2 hours. No one ever tried to pigeon hole them.

Phew. Cue the abuse.

Possibly your best post ever

I love it! I've started a thread where there are people actually discussing calmly and rationally their likes and dislikes. Everyones being adult and reasonable. We are almost one nation under a groove!

All the people i expected to contribute have done and i'm pleased about it. I'm also chuffed that in the main people agree with me.

In my opinion electro is going the same way as disco and we know what happened there as the great George Clinton said when asked about disco "the problem started when they narrowed it down to one sound, one groove. Try making love using one stroke. Talk about get on your nerve!" Essentially electro is too samey samey and getting dull because of it

P.S. Wyexile - i know what house is!

I know, I was quoting you. I thought your ego might enjoy it.

Me too Smithster:shocked:! I stepped back from the computer many posts ago and let the big boys duke it out. It's really interesting reading though. Never thought I'd see 'Midnight Starr' and 'Babyface' mentioned here (what about 'Starpoint' anyone?). Definitely agree that those were the true RnB days.

I love genres within genres, but agree they can be self-defeating.

*Steps further back from the computer:wow:*

If you appear for the Secret Soul Sessions on Friday Ill play Starpoint!

Deep house, tech house, electro house, my house is better than your house. What is going on?

Since the early 90's there's been a real need to pigeon hole everything and everyone associated with the house music scene. When I started getting into the scene in about 87 you either listened to house or techno. The only real difference was in the bpm. There were electronically tinged house tracks and also some quite soulful techno. I remember mixmag printing an article about 'style tribes' in about 94. Basically it said you could spot people's musical interests by the way they dressed. According to mixmag I would have been a junglist/crusty/glam/casual depending on which day of the week it was. At this point you could see the way things were going. From then on the splits became even more diverse. Just take a look at the list of genres now on beatport, it's enough to make you go dizzy and actually makes finding a good tune nigh on impossible.

I've got tunes from possibly every genre of dance music there is out there at the moment. I hate the terms 'funky house' and 'electro house' if a tune isn't funky or electronic then it's probably not house music. These are terms coined to sell dance orientated pop music to the masses. As it all continues I find myself pushed more and more twoards 'proper' techno as it's probably the only true 'underground' genre that exists at the moment. I don't mean Sven Vath's 'sexy' techno for the ibiza masses I mean proper Detroit/Jeff Mills/Underground resistance tackle.

I think the one thing that summed it all up for me was a couple of weeks ago at the Warehouse project. Francois K was just coming to the end of his set. He'd played at around 134bpm all night then at the end he drops one of the most awesome gospel acapellas you've ever heard. All these people are going round in pure amazement saying 'how good is this, Ive never heard anything like it before'. My point is, that's what DJ's used to do before they had to fit in a pigeon hole to get booked. All the American guys used to veer from proper head down chicago beats to full on vocal/gospel in the space of 2 hours. No one ever tried to pigeon hole them.

Phew. Cue the abuse.

Wow that saved me a lot of typing!!!!!

Just a couple of points. Music can be very much about a time and a place.

Sometimes you walk into a club and get swallowed up by the atmosphere and a track just works for that moment.... for example...My Washing Machine in Space Ibiza . I aint a big fan but Minimal just works there and I was jumping..LOL

As for our little event ...yes we play electro at DQ because as a house event its relevant to what we do and to be quite honest if we played more soulful or deeper we wouldnt have an event to talk about. There just aint the numbers out there. Needless to say when house music develops another sub genre Hustle will very possibly embrace and support that too.

Archived