Call that a pub quiz?

BasilRathbon

Whilst on a tour round town last night a couple of friends and I thought we'd go to the Red Lion on Charles St for their pub quiz. We paid our 50p took a quiz sheet and were then handed a list of 20 questions.

I was baffled; I asked one of the bar staff "Don't you read the questions out then?" and she said no, because as the pub was showing two seperate live football matches at the same time, it was too noisy.

We did the quiz, but to be honest this approach took all the fun out of it. Half the fun of the pub quiz is the way the whole pub goes quiet to hear each question, and the sound of several people all scratching their heads, conferring and scribbling, and the subsequent realisiation that either you've got a good chance of winning or no chance at all.

Half an hour later, the same woman came round to take the answers and marked each answer with either a tick or cross and told you how many you'd got. Again the sense of theatre was missing; how much more fun would it have been for them to read the answers out one by one, and for your team to have that "Well if you'd listened to me" comedy argument?

As we made to leave my mate said to me "That wasn't a quiz; it was an exam".

I understand the logic of not disturbing the football fans, but surely the pub could either have held the quiz on a different night or just shown the football in the back area by the pool table?

We did the quiz, but to be honest this approach took all the fun out of it. Half the fun of the pub quiz is the way the whole pub goes quiet to hear each question, and the sound of several people all scratching their heads, conferring and scribbling, and the subsequent realisiation that either you've got a good chance of winning or no chance at all.

Don't forget the noise of people texting others for answers and the beeping when they get a reply!;)

That's the phones beeping , b4 I gat a smartarsed answer

Basil,

Devonshire Arms Eccy Rd, Monday night quiz, Its free, starts at 9.30pm, 30 general Knowledge questions as read by the quiz master (Me)! And free food at 10.15, whilst you review your answers, followed by the answers at 10.30pm.

To guarantee a seat, depending on students (that come for their tea), I'd suggest arriving by at least 9.15pm.(Nov 5th were 15 teams)

http://devonshirearms.thebigmenu.co.uk/

Cheers James

Yeh it does!

I like the Red Lion for Homemade Lunchtime food and have always sung it's praises but this is the second complaint i've heard about it today. To be honest I think the woman in the kitchen has got a bit of an attitude problem and the bar staff are a bit rude too. AND they charge same for a pint of Blackcurrant and Soda and Coke. Surely that's not right?

Archived