Learning to DJ in Sheffield

c_hep

.learning to DJ???. just call yourself one and get a gig:) its that simple....

Depending on what you want to play, he's right to a certain degree! If you're not intent on any form of mixing as such then you just need the music collection and the love for the music :love:

If you're talking mixing then I know there's a school that was Point Blank but I think has changed names, it's next to Spearmint Rhino anyways, opposite Sound Control. Whether or not learning to mix in a classroom is the best way to go about it is a whole other debate, I didn't and don't know anyone who did, but I guess from your post this is what you mean.

If you know anyone who DJs and has the kit then I'd recommend mucking about with them first, see if you catch the bug before you lash out £££ on a course. You may even decide it's not necessary and just want to continue learning as you experiment - definately how to go about developing your own style anyways.

I be interested to hear the other side of it mind, if anyone has used or teaches one of these courses.

no it isn't!

yes it is!! ....I decided to be a DJ one day in 1994, the same day put together a case of 100 compilation CD's in plastic sleeves covering ALL GENRES from dance, disco, chart, indie and rock/alternative. I rang up 3 clubs, wanted to start right at the top (1994/5 club scene very different then), and landed a full club gig 3 nights later at the last minute due to the house resident DJ being ill. It was on a very very busy Monday student night playing up-tempo dance and chart, which was a complete stroke of luck, but it paid off...I worked my ass off as had not a clue what I was doing so played most of 'The Best Dance album in the world...EVER, parts 1 2 and 3 just mixing between those albums, mixed with 4 Now thats What I call Music CD's and the crowd loved it...so did the Manager, he put me on every week by myself and sacked the other one the next day!!!..:D

in less than 4 MONTHS I was playing a full 4 hour night weekly at the Leadmill, doing the full 4 hr POP TARTS at Sheff University, the Tuesday night hi NRG dance night and the Friday night LOVESHACK dance/chart disco at the same place, + working a rock night at ROXY, a 70's/80's night at CAIRO's, several bars/pubs as well as private bookings.....I had more work being thrown at me than some superstar Ibiza dude....

Don't believe the hype you have to study techniques and research other top DJ's for years to be a DJ, that's all hype. ...It's down to the following factors :

1) WHO YOU KNOW: Other DJ's won't do you any favours as they all want work too, so make friends at the TOP, direct to the Management or chief Promoters of the best clubs/nights in town....its easy..you just pick up that phone or knock on the door

2) Put together (bribe) a crowd of dedicated groupies ..it works like a charm...especially important at very early gigs you get, it really impresses the promoters/management if at your 1st gig you have a crowd come JUST to see you!

3) Don't ever appear to accept the fee offered, name your own (not to stupid to start with), it looks so professional if you expect MORE than what is offered even if you work for the offered fee in the end......clever but effective way of getting you noticed......

4) WORK THE CROWD......vital ALL the time, its the ONE thing that Management really notice, they won;t care if your technically not brilliant at mixing, do not wear a stage suit or have your own private bouncer, but if you can work the crowd with your choice of tunes(and that has NOTHING to do with technical skills at all), you are laughing...

5) Do not use a microphone......most Dj's use it only to cover the gaps in less than perfect mixes/crossfades and as an extension of their ego....no one likes DJ's with microphones up their ass

PLUS LUCK???? Maybe......

yes it is!! ....I decided to be a DJ one day in 1994, the same day put together a case of 100 compilation CD's in plastic sleeves covering ALL GENRES from dance, disco, chart, indie and rock/alternative. I rang up 3 clubs, wanted to start right at the top (1994/5 club scene very different then), and landed a full club gig 3 nights later at the last minute due to the house resident DJ being ill. It was on a very very busy Monday student night playing up-tempo dance and chart, which was a complete stroke of luck, but it paid off...I worked my ass off as had not a clue what I was doing so played most of 'The Best Dance album in the world...EVER, parts 1 2 and 3 just mixing between those albums, mixed with 4 Now thats What I call Music CD's and the crowd loved it...so did the Manager, he put me on every week by myself and sacked the other one the next day!!!..:D

in less than 4 MONTHS I was playing a full 4 hour night weekly at the Leadmill, doing the full 4 hr POP TARTS at Sheff University, the Tuesday night hi NRG dance night and the Friday night LOVESHACK dance/chart disco at the same place, + working a rock night at ROXY, a 70's/80's night at CAIRO's, several bars/pubs as well as private bookings.....I had more work being thrown at me than some superstar Ibiza dude....

Don't believe the hype you have to study techniques and research other top DJ's for years to be a DJ, that's all hype. ...It's down to the following factors :

1) WHO YOU KNOW: Other DJ's won't do you any favours as they all want work too, so make friends at the TOP, direct to the Management or chief Promoters of the best clubs/nights in town....its easy..you just pick up that phone or knock on the door

2) Put together (bribe) a crowd of dedicated groupies ..it works like a charm...especially important at very early gigs you get, it really impresses the promoters/management if at your 1st gig you have a crowd come JUST to see you!

3) Don't ever appear to accept the fee offered, name your own (not to stupid to start with), it looks so professional if you expect MORE than what is offered even if you work for the offered fee in the end......clever but effective way of getting you noticed......

4) WORK THE CROWD......vital ALL the time, its the ONE thing that Management really notice, they won;t care if your technically not brilliant at mixing, do not wear a stage suit or have your own private bouncer, but if you can work the crowd with your choice of tunes(and that has NOTHING to do with technical skills at all), you are laughing...

5) Do not use a microphone......most Dj's use it only to cover the gaps in less than perfect mixes/crossfades and as an extension of their ego....no one likes DJ's with microphones up their ass

PLUS LUCK???? Maybe......

Would you accept that you were exceptionally lucky?

Archived