Learning to DJ in Sheffield

c_hep

Rock Djs tend to be constrained by their crowd wanting to hear tunes that they know - so putting together a great but obscure set isnt really an option available to them..
How wrong can one person be ???? I can throw in a track that not many people know, or made by myself and will have people coming up asking "where can I get that track ?

How wrong can one person be ???? ?

Not very! I've been to enough rock bars & clubs in my time to know that virtually every rock DJ playing a fri/sat prime slot will play from a very limited pool of records - because their crowd will only dance to tunes that they know.

Not very! I've been to enough rock bars & clubs in my time to know that virtually every rock DJ playing a fri/sat prime slot will play from a very limited pool of records - because their crowd will only dance to tunes that they know.

This is always a hot issue.....its true some rock DJ's stick to well known and tested 'formulas' so as not to upset the dance floor or the regulars, but there are DJ's who will suddenly throw in unexpected new material in such a way that it blends seamlessly with the material both before and after........it all depends on the venue, the nature of the crowd, ie old or not so old....the latter is usually open to experimentation with music whilst the older crowd prefer to stick with their Whitesnake, Guns N Roses and Motley Crue, etc.......

its like a classic trance night where you cant really play any new stuff, the 'older skool' members of the crowd expect the tried and tested trance classic gems, and wont be in the mood for previously unheard or rare material....this concept crosses ALL genres of music, it depends on the TYPE of night, the age range of the patrons, etc

With Indie/Rock I think Bar DJing and Club DJing are a bit different You can get away with more obscure/up-front stuff in a bar, but in a club when you've got responsibility for the dancefloor you have to think twice

I agree. You tend to have more rigid play-list formulas in clubs.....as a general rule anyway, but it does depend on what sort of night it is..ie classic rock is really restricted to....well..classic rock, which is a finite selection of tunes in relation to dancefloor action.....

There is an art to rock DJing. For example you can't/shouldn't play Bon Jovi straight after a Slayer track. It sounds wrong.

The hardest rock night I do is a rock night which is mixed in with chart and disco. I get rockers in wanting to hear AC/DC and non rockers wanting to hear Robyn and Rhianna. I have to go from one extreme to the other - it's house policy. It sounds terrible, but the crowd love it.

I secretly get a buzz from finding the most extreme rock requests and the most clashing pop track that has also been asked for and blatently clashing them one after the other. Nobody really cares. I get a buzz because I wouldn't get away with it anywhere else! Great fun.

There is an art to rock DJing. For example you can't/shouldn't play Bon Jovi straight after a Slayer track. It sounds wrong.

The tried and tested route would be

Slayer>Metallica>GunsnRoses>Motley Crue >Bon Jovi

...I spent too many nights in dodgy clubs with a friend who DJ's rock...

;)

Archived