Learning to DJ in Sheffield

c_hep

There is an art to rock DJing. For example you can't/shouldn't play Bon Jovi straight after a Slayer track. It sounds wrong.

Yeah but as a couple of us have said, choosing songs is just a minimum requirement of DJing, it's just knowing your music - what works and when - and frankly you shouldn't be standing there DJing if you don't know this before you start. Choosing the tracks is essentially ALL a DJ has to do, whether or not they then go on to do something artistic and creative with them is another matter IMO.

Like I said, I do exactly the same with soul/funk etc on a Saturday. Yes I have to choose the right ones at the right time, but I'm not being artistic by doing so, just doing my job. For example; If I play "Rapper's Delight" after "Pick up the Pieces" I'm just choosing tunes, but if I cut the drum break from the former over the horn break of the latter, I'm being creative, doing more than just playing the records.

Archived