Learning to DJ in Sheffield

c_hep

Things are very very different now. Its damnably hard to get a gig in sheffield even harder to get a paying gig. Its a cutthroat business and there are people who'd set your mum on fire if they thought it meant they would get ahead of you.

I would imagine that if someone tried what you tried they would get nowhere. Going out with barely a clue of how to use the equipment, know their audience, not be prepared and to be barely competent would get you nowhere. The OP if he started tomorrow the only person who might give him time of day would probably be chris at bring it on and even he would think twice

Things are very very different now. Its damnably hard to get a gig in sheffield even harder to get a paying gig. Its a cutthroat business and there are people who'd set your mum on fire if they thought it meant they would get ahead of you.

I would imagine that if someone tried what you tried they would get nowhere. Going out with barely a clue of how to use the equipment, know their audience, not be prepared and to be barely competent would get you nowhere. The OP if he started tomorrow the only person who might give him time of day would probably be chris at bring it on and even he would think twice

In that case, it would be to be good luck..and a lot of it!...Miraculously the equipment was a DENON 2000F dual CD deck, which are simple to work out....also amazing was the fact the mix I performed worked like magic and I don't know to this day HOW I did it....the headphones worked in one ear only and were crap, but the DJ from sat night had left, prob by mistaker, his hand written playlist , many of which were on my new comp CD's...I followed the list and added a few of my own too when I felt brave enough......talent, no, just...luck?......I never said I had talent, as I don't, nor do I pretend to have any.....so that must leave being in 'the right place at the right time' and a 'lucky break' ....who knows, could still happen...I bet there are some DJ's out there now who have had a lot of unexplainable lucky breaks that has pushed them way ahead of the competition simply by being in the right place,

In that case, it would be to be good luck..and a lot of it!...Miraculously the equipment was a DENON 2000F dual CD deck, which are simple to work out....also amazing was the fact the mix I performed worked like magic and I don't know to this day HOW I did it....the headphones worked in one ear only and were crap, but the DJ from sat night had left, prob by mistaker, his hand written playlist , many of which were on my new comp CD's...I followed the list and added a few of my own too when I felt brave enough......talent, no, just...luck?......I never said I had talent, as I don't, nor do I pretend to have any.....so that must leave being in 'the right place at the right time' and a 'lucky break' ....who knows, could still happen...I bet there are some DJ's out there now who have had a lot of unexplainable lucky breaks that has pushed them way ahead of the competition simply by being in the right place, right time, etc....but I accept its generally a tough world and survival only of the fittest............setting anyones mother on fire is indeed suggestive of a cut throat world....
You are an exception to the rule

Its sounds a bit cheesey - but I'd recomend the book "How to DJ Properly" by Bill Brewster & Frank Broughton - which is a great sensible (and funny) run through of the essentials (ie not just the technical bits) of DJing - its about a tenner in Waterstones or from Amazon

You are an exception to the rule

He's not - I did the same back in the '80s with vinyl and, aside from a bit of a break when CD decks became the norm and my music collection needed replacing, I've been not only DJing but running club nights and events since.

It's possibly different in the rock/alternative scene to other genres but it's how a lot of DJs I know started.

He's not - I did the same back in the '80s with vinyl and, aside from a bit of a break when CD decks became the norm and my music collection needed replacing, I've been not only DJing but running club nights and events since.

It's possibly different in the rock/alternative scene to other genres but it's how a lot of DJs I know started.

Same here - eight years ago I was at a mates daughters christening do, and all they had was a portable cd player...

The manager of the pub said if they knew anyone who could use the equipment they had, they were more than welcome.

I had a load of cd's in the car so went and got them........2 hours later, a couple that had another pub came and offered me the friday and saturday nights in their pub.

Eight years later, I have worked in various pubs, done countless private bookings and even a season in Ibiza.

Sometimes, it is just being in the right place at the right time :D

Archived