Learning to DJ in Sheffield

c_hep

I venture to say that even today its STILL possible to become a 'household name' DJ very fast, with just a few lucky breaks. (I think it would be a great TV show, like X factor concept, to audition a few Dj's and pick one and try and push them right to the top in just a few months..hey I might copyright that idea and produce a TV show)...

Its already been done. It was called 'The Joy of Decks' and it was on ITV. Same priciple as X-factor djs got voted off each week.

Same here - eight years ago

Sometimes, it is just being in the right place at the right time :D

Are you not seeing the connection, 8 years ago for you, over 10 years for goldenfleece, longer than that for somebody else and you all agree you got lucky.

Getting lucky is not a career move. Getting lucky is just that. A fluke. To advise someone to just do it is giving them false hope.

That said this applies only to dance music i would imagine. For other genres there may be different circumstances.

Heres a challenge for goldenfleece, (s)he owns a venue why don't they give the OP a set knowing they have no records, no technical skill and only a basic idea of how to use the equipment?

who would? Club management generally would not recognize a good mix from someone playing NOW CD's back to back, come on.....been there done it, they don't have a clue.....not naming any clubs but the Management at one I worked at in the 90's did not know the difference between trance, funk or hip-hop, and had as much of a clue as what a good DJ sounded like as what his annual VAT return was.......
Management might not know the difference but promoters and punters do and to suggest you can pull the wool over their eyes is plain wrong

I venture to say that even today its STILL possible to become a 'household name' DJ very fast, with just a few lucky breaks. (I think it would be a great TV show, like X factor concept, to audition a few Dj's and pick one and try and push them right to the top in just a few months..hey I might copyright that idea and produce a TV show)...

.I believe it can be done, REGARDLESS of skill, music genre, technical ability, etc, its all about getting your foot THROUGH the door and not just in it.....I think that most wannabe DJ's dont have the personality to drive them forward.....forget sending out demo tapes, get out there in the field and just do it!!!!

I am willing to suggest very boldly that I could take ANYONE who wanted to be a DJ and get them playing at the TOP night in any town on good money within 6 months, and not by pulling any strings or calling in favours from promoters and club owners, but by showing them how to do get that foot firmly in, around and through that door. And that person may be rubbish at mixing and with no experience, but they could be headlining at the top clubs in no time....

Do it with the OP then. I'll bet you £100 you can't get him playing in the main room at plug on a peak time set by June next year.

Once again, and sorry to shatter any urban myths about DJ'ing, but it is nothing to do with tech skill or mixing abilities, etc. (Most DJ;s go wrong and go nowhere fast as they spent all their time trying to create the 'perfect mix' or 'perfect set' of technical brilliance). It's about YOU, the person behind the decks, and what you do with that gift or 'learned asset', and NOT what you do ON the decks!!!
I agree to a point. However being a DJ is not about you and it is pure ego to suggest it is. DJing is about the crowd and about being able to manipulate that crowd to a point but at the same time to respond to the crowd and provide what they want. Any DJ who thinks its all about them is foolish and wrong. Without a crowd you're just a person in a room playing records

The CULT of the DJ in both the old fashioned 'sex symbol opening supermarkets and appearing on TV chat shows, ie Tony Blackburn, etc), and the modern 'superstar dance club DJ's' relies purely on ONE universal factor.....having the guts to get up and do it!!!
This is quite true

And remember, some of the biggest name DJ's got where they are today by doing things against the grain, ie totally outrageous or non acceptable forms of mixing or set creation, never try and emulate another, invent your own technique....even if its playing non stop NOW CD's like I did.....it worked.......
But you already have admitted you were exceptionally lucky to get a break.

Finally i apologise for breaking your post up its quite rude but it was necessary to address individual points

Just out of curiosity are there any local DJ's you do like? (i'm not being sarcastic or trying to be confrontational, its a genuine question)

i really don't see the need for this question at all - and how you can say its not got confrontational undertones is beyond me!

hmmm

i didnt say i disliked john dixon, i said i dont rate him or his abilities.

i particularly disliked the last set of yours i heard you do in club xes, however...

its all down to personal taste, after all.

:loopy:

Are you not seeing the connection, 8 years ago for you, over 10 years for goldenfleece, longer than that for somebody else and you all agree you got lucky.

Getting lucky is not a career move. Getting lucky is just that. A fluke. To advise someone to just do it is giving them false hope.

That said this applies only to dance music i would imagine. For other genres there may be different circumstances.

Heres a challenge for goldenfleece, (s)he owns a venue why don't they give the OP a set knowing they have no records, no technical skill and only a basic idea of how to use the equipment?

He has already done that with a young lady who asked to do a set......turned out fairly well.

DJing covers a very wide area, there are all types, I used to mix in the 80s, but don't anymore, nowadays I concentrate on mainly Pubs/Hotels and Private Functions I'm now in my 29th year and enjoy every minute of it, and employ 6 others.

So what I do, I believe needs a person who can entertain on the mic as well as play the music, the most important having the knowledge of the music, especially when playing from we'll say 50s upwards.

But one thing that you do need is the stamina to stick it out, I think it's fair to say it's one of those Jobs you will either love or hate and you won't know till you try it!

Archived