Learning to DJ in Sheffield

c_hep

i think the difference between making it as a dj or not is the love of music. As mr fleece says anyone can stick cd's on... damn.. even me! but the real ones that show out are the people that have a passion for what they do rather than the money and the ego massaging! Ive worked with many of the top dj's and their ego's are massaged by their helpers that live and breath them... where as a chap I know is quite frankly one of the best dj's I have listen to for a long time but is under no illusion that he is the worlds best... he just loves what he does. Never complains about what he makes financially but the rewards will come to him.....

As mentioned (I think in the second post) get a set of decks and practice. Learn the basics and create your own style. I love watching 4 dj's, 4 decks, 2 mixers and 4 different songs all played together for the fun of what they do.....(oops a little hint of who i am there! :hihi:)

i think the difference between making it as a dj or not is the love of music. As mr fleece says anyone can stick cd's on... damn.. even me! but the real ones that show out are the people that have a passion for what they do rather than the money and the ego massaging! Ive worked with many of the top dj's and their ego's are massaged by their helpers that live and breath them... where as a chap I know is quite frankly one of the best dj's I have listen to for a long time but is under no illusion that he is the worlds best... he just loves what he does. Never complains about what he makes financially but the rewards will come to him.....

Thats all very true....it IS an art form in itself......and a good artist LOVES his art. But.....an artist who produces a pile of dirty building site bricks and makes a fortune by exhibiting at the national Gallery, or someone who paints a bit of cardboard yellow and sells it for 1 million at auction, is NO different to someone who spends years and years painting the technically perfect oil on canvas masterpiece.....its about PASSION for the art.....

I enjoy DJ'ing immensely.....the fact is I don't consider myself talented in any way at all, but I have a stonking good time, and that's what it should be about....PASSION FOR ART!

Hiya, I've not read the whole thread but thought i'd add my bit.

My little brother (link to website is in my sig) bought his first decks when he was 13 or 14 he just played around and learnt how to dj by himself. When he was 15 he started doing private parties and then got to play at the empire bar and matrix (unpaid gigs)

He did a short music course at red tape studios but he said that he didn;t 'need' to as he'd already taught himself most of the techniques.

At 19 he got his 1st residency at a club, but it gradually fizzled out. Now he's a love to be resident and he's recently played at ministry of sound in manchester, and gatecrasher in leeds and he may be getting another big named residency.

Now he not only mixes, but is creating his own music too, with the money he's saved up from djing, he bought a home music studio and is just in the final stages of finishing his own track "you make the sunshine"

I have to say, he's worked bloody hard, it hasn't come easily, and he's still working hard. Sending out dozens of mixes each week to promoters across the country.

If its something that you're really serious about then I'd suggest investing in a have decent set of decks and just keep practising.

Good luck

I don't rate John Dixon, he's very average.

oooh..... only just seen this post........:o

well everyone is entitled to their opinion.:P

He has just played at ministry of sound in manchester and they said that he's the best warm up dj they've ever had........:huh:

If its something that you're really serious about then I'd suggest investing in a have decent set of decks and just keep practising.

Good luck

This is true, but I think the days of die-hard DJ's using vinyl are on the way out, it's just a matter of time. The cost for example of getting your own music or mix onto vinyl is still very very expensive as its an antiquated medium. (whereas it costs pence only to make a CD) The digital DJ software you can get now is superb, and blows the pants off 'old skool' turntable methods......check out some of the DJ and DJ studio software available, it's the future for sure....

Having said that I do know a DJ in Europe who makes his own vinyl mixes, and invested £8K in one of those Vestax Vinyl recorders

http://www.djdevices.com/acatalog/vestax_vinyl_recorder_vrx_2000.html

which is a home based vinyl record making kit......but as he gets paid £1.5K a night plus, it was just pocket money to him....

But practice makes perfect...you can't deny that....work at anything long and hard enough and you can be the best.....

I think there's different types of djs we're talking about here, the more traditional set up playing in city centre bars and clubs normally using cds etc. And then there's the true innovators juch as Jazzy Jeff, Mixmaster Mike and so on. They take the artform of djing to another level and it is simply untrue to say constant practice will get you to their level, otherwise there would be nothing special about the DMC championships. Check this old video of Mixmaster Mike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6iGexp7Pn8 who breaks down exactly how he does his routine and you can see what he's doing all the way through...Copy and practice that as much as you like and I can only think of a handful of Sheffield djs for example that could emulate that...One of them being Andy H, and he's regarded as one of the best djs in the country!!

I think there's different types of djs we're talking about here, the more traditional set up playing in city centre bars and clubs normally using cds etc. And then there's the true innovators juch as Jazzy Jeff, Mixmaster Mike and so on. They take the artform of djing to another level and it is simply untrue to say constant practice will get you to their level, otherwise there would be nothing special about the DMC championships. Check this old video of Mixmaster Mike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6iGexp7Pn8

That is most certainly an art form in its own league.......unique maybe

Sadly you may be right, the futures bleak for vinyl. that said I doubt it'll die out entirely

vinbnyl will remain as long as the demand holds....the new age of digital DJ software is making a huge dent at the moment. But actually to see a 'new age' DJ on stage surrounded by computers instead of decks is a treat for the eyes, it takes DJ'ing to a new level of technology and makes it look incredibly complex....I have seen a pure digital DJ at work in manchester, he had a whole rack of computers and some digital synths and stuff, and a mixer the size of a nightclub! it was amazing to watch him create his music....forgotten his name though, he put together the most impressive overlays and dubs I have ever heard though......the equivalent of using 20 turntables all at once at least, and all with just 2 hands!!!

Archived