Learning to DJ in Sheffield

c_hep

Agree with what you're saying about djs such as Jazzy Jeff there. However, I feel Andy H isn't really pushing the boundaries any more, he always seems to do a similar set every week and it does get noticed by people who go to the Tuesday Club week in week out... He seems like a really nice guy though and he is a good dj.

As for vinyl, I think it does have to do with demand and plenty of djs would never ditch it!

Hear what your saying funkymiss but I think Andy plays a similar set week in week out to get the crowd going with a reliable selection of bangers, doing the classic job as a warm up dj if you like :) Having just discovered his own productions, thats where he's pushing the boundaires, his tune 'Move and Progress' with Testament is a cross genre future classic!!

And yep as for vinyl, as long as they sell it, I'll keep buying it!! :love:

Hear what your saying funkymiss but I think Andy plays a similar set week in week out to get the crowd going with a reliable selection of bangers, doing the classic job as a warm up dj if you like :) Having just discovered his own productions, thats where he's pushing the boundaires, his tune 'Move and Progress' with Testament is a cross genre future classic!!

And yep as for vinyl, as long as they sell it, I'll keep buying it!! :love:

Yeah that's fair enough, and like I said he is a great dj and never fails to get it warmed up of a Tuesday night! Same for Testament on the mic!

Glad you agree on the vinyl, nothing beats it in my opinion!

As for the decks, I'm a bit of a slow learner really but it's fun to try (at home :hihi:)

Yeah that's fair enough, and like I said he is a great dj and never fails to get it warmed up of a Tuesday night! Same for Testament on the mic!

Glad you agree on the vinyl, nothing beats it in my opinion!

As for the decks, I'm a bit of a slow learner really but it's fun to try (at home :hihi:)

Female dj in the making eh? Excellent, we need more of them! :)

Very few female djs and mc's in the drum and bass scene which is a shame! In terms of getting started men may be more confident with the equipment?

I'm no DJ! I like having a go at house parties though when there are people about to teach me how to do it properly :)

I think boutiquechoc is a DJ...

Very few female djs and mc's in the drum and bass scene which is a shame! In terms of getting started men may be more confident with the equipment?

I'm no DJ! I like having a go at house parties though when there are people about to teach me how to do it properly :)

I think boutiquechoc is a DJ...

Really? I know very little about drum and bass so can't comment but women seem really over represented in harder forms of dance music

When ever the term DJ is used it's automatically assumed its connected with DANCE music and its many many derivatives.....don't forget that there are many other genres than also have DJ's, ie ROCK, INDIE, REGGAE, etc, and all have their own methods and styles. Ok so rock DJ's tend not to use dubs or backtracking that much, or even vinyl at all anymore, but that does not mean it's any less of an art form......

Really? I know very little about drum and bass so can't comment but women seem really over represented in harder forms of dance music

Yeah I have seen very few female D&B/jungle djs even at parties etc. It is a fairly male-orientated scene I think though. However saying that, I've definitely noticed more girls at events in Sheffield as time has gone on.

When ever the term DJ is used it's automatically assumed its connected with DANCE music and its many many derivatives.....don't forget that there are many other genres than also have DJ's, ie ROCK, INDIE, REGGAE, etc, and all have their own methods and styles. Ok so rock DJ's tend not to use dubs or backtracking that much, or even vinyl at all anymore, but that does not mean it's any less of an art form......

Cant agree I'm afraid.. I'm an indie DJ myslef and yeah there is such thing as a good indie DJ and bad one (obviosuly I think I'm amazing lol) but I would never in a million years describe DJing indie as an "art form". An artist (eg house / trance) pleases the audience while expressing their own personal taste, not playing requests. On the other hand an indie or rock dj will undoubtedly have masses of requests to deal with and if they care at all about pleasing the audience they will squeeze a good deal of them into the set, so it isnt as much of an "expression of self" so therefore not as much of an art form.

Still bloody good fun though! :D

Archived