Is the republic to be rebuilt?

discodown

Does anyone know if the republic is going to be rebuilt? (You can call it Gatecrasher One if you like but to me it'll always be the republic?) Culturally it was one of the most important buildings in sheffield and it would be a desparate shame if it just turned into yet more flats.

We've already lost Bed which is a terrible shame, it would be even worse to lose Republic which was the building that really put sheffield back on the clubbing map and kept it there. It was a building where some lifelong friendships were made, DJ's became superstars and people came from all over the country to go to.

Whatever you think of Gatecrasher it was incredibly important and it should be acknowledged as part of sheffields history. Its as vital to sheffields history as the cutlers hall or a little mesters yard. Also on a larger scale what is it about clubbing and nighttime venues that cities are just happy to let them fade away as thought they were unimportant. Manchester let the hacienda go, NYC let the saint and the paradise garage get built on. Its a shame. We shouldn't let the impact of crasher fade.

The Republic must be rebuilt!

They can rebuild it all they like - it won't be the building where all those friendships were made. In the end Discodown, although I agree with your sentiments, I reckon Gatecrasher is more a state of mind than a physical space and so, whether the bricks and mortar are there or not, it WILL always be with you.

don't know about the site but I heard they're moving republic to the roxy building

that rumour has been around years, ever since the regeneration of sheffield was announced :hihi:

Personally I think clubbing is dying. people want the biggest and best but are not willing to pay for it. How many times do you read about someone moaning about the price of a pint but when a cheaper alternative is offered its rubbish... cant have it both ways im afraid.

The days of the super club are long gone so I wouldn't imagine that there are any real plans to rebuild the club. It's on a nice piece of land that would suit lots of uses and it would be a brave opertor that would rebuild when yu can simply attach your brand and following to somebody elses venue in any location.

Roxy - somebody maybe, but not Crasher as I understand it.

They can rebuild it all they like - it won't be the building where all those friendships were made. In the end Discodown, although I agree with your sentiments, I reckon Gatecrasher is more a state of mind than a physical space and so, whether the bricks and mortar are there or not, it WILL always be with you.

That's so true, it's like the old Mojo Club, it's been flats for years now, but for those who went there in its heyday, we still have great memories of all the bands we saw and people we met. Gatecrasher will live on in memory for the people that loved it, and probably get bigger and better with every year that passes!.

You're absolutely right.They will never recreate the feeling of crasher. I just think it is important to have a physical reminder of the importance and impact of the club

Archived