Is the republic to be rebuilt?

discodown

And there should be some sort of acknowledgement to Cream also. GC was sheffield for a while. Its not the building so much that matters more the institution and the ideal of what crasher was. That should be acknowledged. Even if (and almost certainly it will) it turns into flats there should be some sort of reminder that for a while there stood a building that changed lives

Gatecrasher was 'Sheffield' for a while? Apart from the clubnight being a regular event in this city, and maybe the TDR flyers, what exactly was 'Sheffield' about it?

It was a decent night, but the DJs on show at 'Crasher had little in common with the sound Sheffield is renowned for.

Gatecrasher was 'Sheffield' for a while? Apart from the clubnight being a regular event in this city, and maybe the TDR flyers, what exactly was 'Sheffield' about it?

It was a decent night, but the DJs on show at 'Crasher had little in common with the sound Sheffield is renowned for.

Crasher forged a new sound for Sheffield. For a new generation of clubbers Sheffield was mecca. Just as for the first generation of clubbers the Hacienda was all. So for the trance generation Crasher was the ultimate.

Crasher forged a new sound for Sheffield. For a new generation of clubbers Sheffield was mecca. Just as for the first generation of clubbers the Hacienda was all. So for the trance generation Crasher was the ultimate.

I don't think 'Crasher forged a new sound for Sheffield at all. How many trance nights or trance-influenced producers does this city have now?

There isn't really a comparison between the Hacienda and Gatecrasher either. The Hacienda was pure Manchester, and had truly iconic connotations (New Order, Ben Kelly, Peter Saville, Factory, acid house). Despite being hugely popular, Gatecrasher didn't really have that. Corporate clubland will never have the same impact or importance as anything like the Hacienda.

I don't think 'Crasher forged a new sound for Sheffield at all. How many trance nights or trance-influenced producers does this city have now?

There isn't really a comparison between the Hacienda and Gatecrasher either. The Hacienda was pure Manchester, and had truly iconic connotations (New Order, Ben Kelly, Peter Saville, Factory, acid house). Despite being hugely popular, Gatecrasher didn't really have that. Corporate clubland will never have the same impact or importance as anything like the Hacienda.

The amount of trance nights this city has is a direct result of crasher. Its testament to the clubs drawing power, popularity and impact that trance remains in sheffield and probably the UK. To suggest they were here before GC is pure folly.

Crasher wasn't corporate when it started, it was only really corporate after they bought the republic. Also if the hacienda had remained open theres no doubt that if Tony Wilson sold it on it would be as corporate as cream, ministry or crasher. If TW remained in charge it probably wouldn't because he was a genius!

The amount of trance nights this city has is a direct result of crasher. Its testament to the clubs drawing power, popularity and impact that trance remains in sheffield and probably the UK. To suggest they were here before GC is pure folly.

I didn't suggest they were here before Crasher, I just don't think it has had any involvement in creating any kind of 'Sheffield sound'.

Also if the hacienda had remained open theres no doubt that if Tony Wilson sold it on it would be as corporate as cream, ministry or crasher.

But he didn't, and it wasn't!

I did like 'Crasher, but I would describe it as very popular rather than iconic. Towards the end it was a grotesque, horrible beast with nothing of what made it interesting in the first place.

I suppose in it's own way Crasher was a mecca, but to gurning kids in fluro clothes, not the clubbing scene as a whole. It was as hated by some as it was loved by others, it only gave a home to a certain segment of the scene. Hacienda was a different kettle of fish though, it helped start something new, something for which Crasher and every other club night in the country owes a debt. It and Shroom (arguably) were the blueprint for everything else that followed.

DMC thought so, they voted it the greatest clubnight in the world

Well then it must be true!!!!!!

Gatecrasher did nothing more than exploit the fact that there was no clubbing 'brand' in Sheffield (apart from Love to Be and I'm not sure which came first). There were far more established and innovative nights going on all around the UK at the time Gatecrasher launched. To call it the greatest club in the world is a little bit of a slap in the face for the real pioneers of the UK club scene.

At first I wanted it rebuilt but if it were it wouldn't be the same so as others said wouldn't hold all those memories. It's crazy to think this time last year but was going to happen, in a way it has really altered my lifestyle. Not that I never go out or anything now but before I'd eb there at least every Friday and sometimes on Saturday's now going out just doesn't seem to be the same and I don't go out to clubs in town as often. It wasn't just that it was Gatecrasher but once you went regularly like I did it seemed to be faces you knew wherever you went, relationships were built in that place.

Archived