Is the republic to be rebuilt?

discodown

I did like 'Crasher, but I would describe it as very popular rather than iconic. Towards the end it was a grotesque, horrible beast with nothing of what made it interesting in the first place.

very popular rather than iconic?? look at all the other clubs it helped influence- passion, godskitchen, colours, cream and some of the london clubs like frantic and turnmills!

They were the first club to play DJ's like tiesto and armin van buuren in the UK and give residencys to PVD, bondy and hardwick when they were at the top of there profession..

Gatecrasher in 1998/1999 was known the world over for cutting edge trance music that was the best in the world- simple as that.

I agree that towards the end it was a shadow of its former self but its hard to stay on top forever especially in the cutting edge industry of dance music which is constantly evolving into different things- GC made some dodgy decisions (going monthly etc etc) and paid the price. It still doesn't take away its former glories.

very popular rather than iconic?? look at all the other clubs it helped influence- passion, godskitchen, colours, cream and some of the london clubs like frantic and turnmills!

They were the first club to play DJ's like tiesto and armin van buuren in the UK and give residencys to PVD, bondy and hardwick when they were at the top of there profession..

Gatecrasher in 1998/1999 was known the world over for cutting edge trance music that was the best in the world- simple as that.

I agree that towards the end it was a shadow of its former self but its hard to stay on top forever especially in the cutting edge industry of dance music which is constantly evolving into different things- GC made some dodgy decisions (going monthly etc etc) and paid the price. It still doesn't take away its former glories.

Gatecrasher influenced Cream??? Come off it! *cough* Oakenfold *cough*

Perhaps someone can clarify this too but I thought Bond was the resident at Crasher first and foremost and got his name from that, rather than Crasher giving him the residency whilst 'at the top of his game'.

I agree though, it was iconic but only in a certain niche scene, if you didn't like trance you didn't go, so it didn't have all and sundry flocking to it like some seem to think.

I said it helped influence clubs like that- of course oaky was a HUGE influence on it too, im not and never would say that cream followed Gc cos that would be stupid.

Of course it was iconic in a niche scene, everything is when it comes to dance music- what some like- others don't - thats what makes music great. But during them years GC converted many people into liking that style of music- that what a great club does.

How many people now do you reckon would be interested in a trance night somewhere in Sheffield? Obviously not on the same scale as crasher but with all the classic tunes etc. As I'm not from here, I'm not aware if something similar already exists? x

Off the Rails started in Feb this year and has already moved from Void to Plug. the last one was very good and quite busy.. classics were done to death by Crasher over 2005 and early 2006 and people got bored so I dont think there's much mileage in that to be honest. There might be room for another trance night later in the month, but finding a venue wuld be a massive challenge in his city.

Back to the subject anyway... When I went to uni in 2000, the moment I told people I was from sheffield...the first question they would ask would be "Have you been to gatecrasher?". And not only by people into the trance scene but literally almost everyone. So at one point it did define sheffield for a hell of a lot of people.

Back to the subject anyway... When I went to uni in 2000, the moment I told people I was from sheffield...the first question they would ask would be "Have you been to gatecrasher?". And not only by people into the trance scene but literally almost everyone. So at one point it did define sheffield for a hell of a lot of people.

What a shame for Sheffield :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Odd one that. Never been asked by anyone out of Sheffield before about Gatecrasher. On the other hand, I've had plenty ask about the Leadmill, Bed, Arches and even Corporation....

it depends what musical circles you move in, if you like indie then it will be the leadmill, of you like funky then its bed etc etc.

The republic was the most well known club from sheffield though.

Yep, I'd definitely agree with that one. The Republic for quite some time was probably Sheffield's only major club. I bet if you asked anyone from outside the city to name a club from Sheffield now they'd struggle. Sad really for a city of its size.

Archived