Venue needed for northern soul night!

gaztat

I need a venue for a northern soul night that i am looking to start in sheffield!

something around 150 - 200 capacity and relatively near to the centre.

If anyone has any information, it would be grately appreciated.

UNIQ on carver street do a northern soul and modern soul nite on a weekly basis mate av a word with them

Totally agree with soulman:- the "northern" scene's future has got to be to adopt much more modern soul and drop the overplayed, boring, dated stuff that places like Millenium Hall and Samanthas all nighters play. Ponds Forge for me has also gone downhill recently and Davy's is struggling to restablish itself after Carl and Martin left. Another venue would be crazy. You really have to travel well out of town to find a good large well populated venue.

Totally agree with soulman:- the "northern" scene's future has got to be to adopt much more modern soul and drop the overplayed, boring, dated stuff that places like Millenium Hall and Samanthas all nighters play. Ponds Forge for me has also gone downhill recently and Davy's is struggling to restablish itself after Carl and Martin left. Another venue would be crazy. You really have to travel well out of town to find a good large well populated venue.

like prestwich!!!!

How can you agree with soulman, like i said earlier he is just a hypocrite. Comes on here & say's there are too many nights when he runs 2 nights a month at his venue. Dont go telling me that his new night is a modern night either as i was there & if Clyde Mcphater (give me one more chance) is modern soul then i'm the man in the moon!

How can you agree with soulman, like i said earlier he is just a hypocrite. Comes on here & say's there are too many nights when he runs 2 nights a month at his venue. Dont go telling me that his new night is a modern night either as i was there & if Clyde Mcphater (give me one more chance) is modern soul then i'm the man in the moon!

I have to say I havent been to Red Lion yet but my point is this:- any new event has to contain a mix of soul genres with a bias towards the modern end of Northern and some pure Modern stuff. If someone is going to start nights with purely the old Northern then forget it in this area, there just isn't enough support. The younger audience has to be targeted for the music to continue and there always is a chance if the soul is more Modern and varied.

I have to say I havent been to Red Lion yet but my point is this:- any new event has to contain a mix of soul genres with a bias towards the modern end of Northern and some pure Modern stuff. If someone is going to start nights with purely the old Northern then forget it in this area, there just isn't enough support. The younger audience has to be targeted for the music to continue and there always is a chance if the soul is more Modern and varied.
Hi Dave, think the real problem here is that there are younger soul fans out there but they don't really want to spend there nights out with folks the same age as there parents (same as we didn't when we were there age). If you have a walk down Division st on a thursday & go in places like the forum & halcyon bars you'll be suprised by what you hear bieng played to a younger crowd, classic stuff like the Sounds Of Blackness gets played alongside the more contemporary new soulful house tracks. The average age of the punters is about 22. When you go to the red lion or any of the other modern soul venues in South Yorks like modernism in Rotherham or the earl in Doncaster you will see the average age is about 44 (same as all the northern nights).

The problem with the "modern soul scene" is that it is a little bubble stuck inside a slightly larger bubble (the northern scene) & the folks in the bubble don't want to accept any new faces invading there space. The promoters of the 3 mentioned venue's don't help matters as how do they promote there nights? they drop fliers at each others venues & thats about it.

Let's look at each night individually, The red lion is at Todwick, great for the older traveling crowd but how many younger faces are bothered about going there? None.

Modernism in Rotherham, next to the town centre so the younger crowd are there but it"s established as a rock venue! can't exactly see any motorhead fans crossing over somehow, can you? Appeal to younger soul fans, None.

The Earl in Doncaster, nice hotel but primarily aimed at the northern punters & the modern room is nothing more than an add on room so how many younger soul fans are going to know about it? None.

This is not a personal dig at any of the promoters of the above venues as i know them all personally & regularly attend all there nights & i know they are all passionate in there love of soul music.

There is talk of a summer modern soul festival to take place later in the year at a really nice venue in the west edge of the city (i know this as a relative works there so i can't say too much just yet). Let's just hope that it gets promoted properly & attracts crowds from all age groups (possibly on galaxy & in the local Sheff record shops maybe along with the usual flier method?).

Hopefully this will give the promoters of the other venues a shove in the right direction so they will see where they are going wrong & fans of soul music of all ages will benifit from it...

I need a venue for a northern soul night that i am looking to start in sheffield!

something around 150 - 200 capacity and relatively near to the centre.

If anyone has any information, it would be grately appreciated.

You could try the Notty House in Broomhill, not sure what the capacity is but the landlady is always looking to put on nights etc, of all types and varieties. http://www.nottyhouse.co.uk - The Manager is called Jo.

think the real problem here is that there are younger soul fans out there but they don't really want to spend there nights out with folks the same age as there parents (same as we didn't when ew were there age). If you have a walk down Division st on a thursday & go in places like the forum & halcyon bars you'll be suprised by what you hear bieng played to a younger crowd, classic stuff like the Sounds Of Blackness gets played alongside the more contemporary new soulful house tracks. The average age of the punters is about 22. ..

I agree with the above quote and i always believed it to be a fair assumption that different age groups dont mix but on a Friday we get people enjoying Soul music cause they love it regardless of their age

Downstairs at Takapuna every Friday

Tom Tom Club

Jean Carne

Masters at Work

Natalie Cole

John Legend

Bobby Womack

the best Philly and Motown and classic soul and funk

Archived