Venue needed for northern soul night!

gaztat

Hi Dave, think the real problem here is that there are younger soul fans out there but they don't really want to spend there nights out with folks the same age as there parents (same as we didn't when we were there age). If you have a walk down Division st on a thursday & go in places like the forum & halcyon bars you'll be suprised by what you hear bieng played to a younger crowd, classic stuff like the Sounds Of Blackness gets played alongside the more contemporary new soulful house tracks. The average age of the punters is about 22. When you go to the red lion or any of the other modern soul venues in South Yorks like modernism in Rotherham or the earl in Doncaster you will see the average age is about 44 (same as all the northern nights).

The problem with the "modern soul scene" is that it is a little bubble stuck inside a slightly larger bubble (the northern scene) & the folks in the bubble don't want to accept any new faces invading there space. The promoters of the 3 mentioned venue's don't help matters as how do they promote there nights? they drop fliers at each others venues & thats about it.

Let's look at each night individually, The red lion is at Todwick, great for the older traveling crowd but how many younger faces are bothered about going there? None.

Modernism in Rotherham, next to the town centre so the younger crowd are there but it"s established as a rock venue! can't exactly see any motorhead fans crossing over somehow, can you? Appeal to younger soul fans, None.

The Earl in Doncaster, nice hotel but primarily aimed at the northern punters & the modern room is nothing more than an add on room so how many younger soul fans are going to know about it? None.

This is not a personal dig at any of the promoters of the above venues as i know them all personally & regularly attend all there nights & i know they are all passionate in there love of soul music.

There is talk of a summer modern soul festival to take place later in the year at a really nice venue in the west edge of the city (i know this as a relative works there so i can't say too much just yet). Let's just hope that it gets promoted properly & attracts crowds from all age groups (possibly on galaxy & in the local Sheff record shops maybe along with the usual flier method?).

Hopefully this will give the promoters of the other venues a shove in the right direction so they will see where they are going wrong & fans of soul music of all ages will benifit from it...

Point taken:- surprisingly enough I do agree with what you say but I have found a different situation on Togetherness weekends particularly Fleetwood/Whitby where there does in fact seem a younger element in attendance in the Modern Rooms. I would have said 25 to 35 age group. Maybe its different when it comes to "run of the mill" local events like the one you've mentioned.

i agree with not intent how arrogant can you get saying the soul scenes saturated and if true puts on another night at the same venue, then states get educated with soul music at the red lion.:gag:

Having been to quite a few nights myself over the country I'll agree with souldave their is a young ellement coming through.

Can't comment on ponds forge going down hill but don't they play modern soul

? I know their is modern room at Earl of Doncaster ?

Gaztat welcome to the soul scene hope you find the right venue and get the punters in Would like to see a sheffield city centre venue :)

i agree with not intent how arrogant can you get saying the soul scenes saturated and if true puts on another night at the same venue, then states get educated with soul music at the red lion.:gag:

Having been to quite a few nights myself over the country I'll agree with souldave their is a young ellement coming through.

Can't comment on ponds forge going down hill but don't they play modern soul

? I know their is modern room at Earl of Doncaster ?

Gaztat welcome to the soul scene hope you find the right venue and get the punters in Would like to see a sheffield city centre venue :)

Went to Ponds forge 3 months ago and I thought the music was dire.Anything more recent than 1965 was in very short supply.Not sure who dj's are now maybe not intent can shed some light. 2 to 3 years ago the later dj spots featured quite a lot of modern stuff incl some good rare philly numbers but as I said since then ,for me, very poor.Do Drax nights feature much modern stuff??? Sorry Gaztat seem to be going away from the original thread!!! I do hope you succeed , best of luck!

Went to Ponds forge 3 months ago and I thought the music was dire.Anything more recent than 1965 was in very short supply.Not sure who dj's are now maybe not intent can shed some light. 2 to 3 years ago the later dj spots featured quite a lot of modern stuff incl some good rare philly numbers but as I said since then ,for me, very poor.Do Drax nights feature much modern stuff??? Sorry Gaztat seem to be going away from the original thread!!! I do hope you succeed , best of luck!
I think the thing with Ponds Forge is the fact that it clashes with the Red Lion so the modern fans started to go to the lion rather than a venue that catered for everybody but it is still the best northern night in the area (IMO). Now that most of the modern fans are at the Lion the DJ'S have to play to the punters that are left & in fairness to the lads at Ponds Forge they are now in there 6th year & they do book the best guests from all over the country Soul Sam, Jo Wallace, Terry Davies, Pat Brady etc. (Chris Anderton played some nice stuff last week that included some nice 70s rarities). As for the Drax, it's more of a party night & they do get a lot of stick for playing tracks off CD'S so it's not a night for the purist vinyl collectors but it does get packed twice a month. Thing is they are following the same path as the Red Lion (overkill) & soon the punters will get bored of it & numbers will dwindle & here lies the problem, while they are doubling up at these venues other nights are suffering attendance wise & in the end some will fall by the wayside so the whole scene suffers due to a few greedy promoters.

Sorry for invading your thread Gastat but i felt these issues needed raising.

I need a venue for a northern soul night that i am looking to start in sheffield!

something around 150 - 200 capacity and relatively near to the centre.

If anyone has any information, it would be grately appreciated.

hi gaztat

are you on the northern scene?

do i know you?

would be interested in what you hope to achieve.

i am a moderator on a soul forum - http://www.soul-source.co.uk

check it out

cheers

As someone who did go to ponds forge up untill like yourself 2 years ago, i'm very supprised that the music being played has changed as they were allways forward thinking and a little bit diverse as soul music goes.

It's a shame as it was promoted as a across the board night which is rare on the soul music front.:shocked::confused::(

Where is the Drax nights may have to pay a little visit ? :thumbsup::banana:

As someone who did go to ponds forge up untill like yourself 2 years ago, i'm very supprised that the music being played has changed as they were allways forward thinking and a little bit diverse as soul music goes.

It's a shame as it was promoted as a across the board night which is rare on the soul music front.:shocked::confused::(

Where is the Drax nights may have to pay a little visit ? :thumbsup::banana:

ponds forge is still the best soul event in south yorkshire imo.

i cover manchester, london and leeds as well as ponds forge every month attending soul nights/allnighters.

drax is fine if you want a party atmosphere but for me i prefer the more forward thinking venues that insist on playing original vinyl as opposed to oldies being played on boots and cd's.

the soul scene has never been so busy. The annual northern soul weekender in prestatyn (n.wales) has sold out with over 3500 people attending in march.

if anyone wants to know whats happening let me know. i can point you in the right direction for sure.

you can also check out a soul forum that i help to moderate - http://www.soul-source.co.uk

Going back to the original thread - does the poster have any knowledge of the northern soul scene? its a very close knit community with decades of tradition and knowledge. not an easy scene to just decide on promoting an event. however, i wish him/her lots of luck.

ponds forge is still the best soul event in south yorkshire imo.

i cover manchester, london and leeds as well as ponds forge every month attending soul nights/allnighters.

drax is fine if you want a party atmosphere but for me i prefer the more forward thinking venues that insist on playing original vinyl as opposed to oldies being played on boots and cd's.

the soul scene has never been so busy. The annual northern soul weekender in prestatyn (n.wales) has sold out with over 3500 people attending in march.

if anyone wants to know whats happening let me know. i can point you in the right direction for sure.

you can also check out a soul forum that i help to moderate - http://www.soul-source.co.uk

Going back to the original thread - does the poster have any knowledge of the northern soul scene? its a very close knit community with decades of tradition and knowledge. not an easy scene to just decide on promoting an event. however, i wish him/her lots of luck.

I just thought i'd pay Drax as a visit as i don't mind attending somewhere different it's like a breath of fresh air,as the northern scene sometimes becomes a little too intense on what's being played and who's actually playing it.

I like yourself will be attending prestatyn and in the past have travelled all over following my love of soul music,which i collect on vinyl lp's singles Cd's and sometimes don't really care which format i hear it in as long as it's the right sound for me.:thumbsup:

I like yourself will be attending prestatyn and in the past have travelled all over following my love of soul music,which i collect on vinyl lp's singles Cd's and sometimes don't really care which format i hear it in as long as it's the right sound for me.:thumbsup:

Now that is a breath of fresh air

Archived