Norton aerodrome

Charnock

Was this the Norton Aerodrome that is situated where I think the Bochum Parway now is? Just across the road from Norton Lane? I used to play in what were abandoned buildings there when I was young. Once we started up the boiler in one of buildings and about 10 million cockroaches came out of the walls. Another time, we swiped an old door - we were going to use it for the Guy Fawkes bonfire - got stopped by police while crossing Norton Lane with it.

I was brought up on the Norton Park estate and vaguely remember watching an air show from our back garden - that must ahve been Norton aerodrome.

The one on Bochum Parkway was a much old place, first world war I think. I grew up opposite it in Norton Lane. Spent many happy hours there doing all the things kids were not supposed to do.

I remember stealing some of the steel fence posts to make a go-cart chassis.

• 3 months later...

I used to play at this site as a kid in the 70's & 80's.

Anyone know what the bunker near the present day football pitches was used for?

Vulcan B2's photo shows the entrance to this bunker. I always found it quite frightening going inside it as a kid as it was pitch black.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/ross-mob31/Raf%20Norton%20April%202007/lightwood011.jpg

I used to play at this site as a kid in the 70's & 80's.

Anyone know what the bunker near the present day football pitches was used for?

Vulcan B2's photo shows the entrance to this bunker. I always found it quite frightening going inside it as a kid as it was pitch black.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a31/ross-mob31/Raf%20Norton%20April%202007/lightwood011.jpg

I don't remember seeing the bunker as a kid, but when I went with my lads a few years ago, we found it a very spooky place. I think it was an air raid bunker, one of quite a few on the site. I am fascinated by the place, and have taken many piccys as I think it will soon be lost forever.

remember it as a kid with gate guard spitfire i think then worked there in 70s on new hospital and rewiring officers houses played football at dinner on pitches thought nhs used some hangers for storage for hospitals in sheffield

• 4 months later...

I used to play on there from 1979 - 89 , so i was about 9 up to 16 when we used to go on there .we found every underground shelters on there , you wouldnt believe where there was and i bet theres not many that do know they was a little hole in the ground we used to climb in and crawl inside which opened up to a underground shelter . There was loads of rubble in there but boyyyyyyyyyy id love to go back and dig it out i bet theres allsorts underneath all the rubble from the older days. I still walk round the aerodrome with my dogs thinking good old days lol . Does anyone else remeber playin on there around them years i may have known you if so ?

Norton aerodrome was home to no3ground radar service squadron.

there was also no16 barrage balloon detatchment and anti aircraft battery. I do have some photos, even old airshow programs which were sent to me when i did a project on RAF Norton whilst still at school.

I believe the buildings which still stand are, the infirmary and officers mess which is near the roundabout, the long building along side the road was a workshop and fuel depot. the large hangers were used by the motor pool and radar squadrons (i think)

There is still an air raid shelter near the woods.

The barrage balloons were kept/repaired in two larger hangers which stood behind the existing hangers towards charnock end of site.(was used as hgv/traffic training area) you can still see the door runners in the tarmac.

there are several turning circles on the site which is where I assumed the balloons were lashed as there were metal eylets in the ground.

the site extends from the road right back to the playground off bowman drive. the ramps there were balloon lashings.

The houses in bowman drive and kew cresent area are ex MOD and some were used by service personel upto the late eighties.

The main gate was where the pull in is off the dual carriageway ( to the gleadless end of the site)

this may be a little spurius as I studied the site along time ago, but still have the work somwhere, complete with a map of the site and programs for airshows etc. i will try to locate it!

The houses in bowman drive and kew cresent area are ex MOD and some were used by service personel upto the late eighties.

I moved in the houses on adastal avenue in 1972 i loved living in this area the aerodrome was our playground im finding it really interesting now knowing what alot of the buildings was i always wondered what the rings in the ground was now i know lol for the barrage balloons !!!! No bloody wonder we couldnt pull them out of the ground if they used to hold balloons down ha ha ha , ps top information .

I used to play on there from 1979 - 89 , so i was about 9 up to 16 when we used to go on there .we found every underground shelters on there , you wouldnt believe where there was and i bet theres not many that do know they was a little hole in the ground we used to climb in and crawl inside which opened up to a underground shelter . There was loads of rubble in there but boyyyyyyyyyy id love to go back and dig it out i bet theres allsorts underneath all the rubble from the older days. I still walk round the aerodrome with my dogs thinking good old days lol . Does anyone else remeber playin on there around them years i may have known you if so ?

I played there in the 70's and 80's as a child. I have recollections of an underground bunker, but cant remember for the life of me where it was. Can you jog my memory??

I think that its great that the site remains undeveloped, its a great place to walk amongst and there loads of wildlife.

There was 1 i remember if you stand where the anger is now and face bowman drive so lookin north - east theres land inbetween the roads which was used for driving ect it was on the land there , there was what looked like slabs of thick concrete on a angle and it was a hole just enough to get through and it opened up to a underground shelter im sure i would be able to find it even thou it was about 18 yrs ago i last went to look for it , i bet its overgrown with brambles now. I may go and have a look over the weekend when i take my dogs a walk lol good old days .

Archived