Norton aerodrome

Charnock

I have just completed a non-commercial illustrated book on the history of RAF Norton. There is a copy in the Local Studies Library of Sheffield City Library. However, if anyone would like a pdf copy to download, please let me have your e-mail address. You should send it to nortonfacts@gmail.com

This is the e-mail site I used whilst compiling the book and I now only look at it occasionally. The further your request is from today's date (6th July 2010) the longer you may have to wait. There is absolutely no charge for this document.

I would highly recommend this book, produced to high standard by a gentleman who has a very personal connection with the station. I particularly appreciated the quotes from officers and airmen who served at RAF Norton (not always willingly!), it really brings the place to life. I lived in one of the married quarters on Bowman Drive as a lad in the mid to late '70s and have many fond memories of playing on the old station site- this book is very illuminating, and has gone a long way towards satisfying my curiosity about the place. Mr Read, I salute you sir!

I would highly recommend this book, produced to high standard by a gentleman who has a very personal connection with the station. I particularly appreciated the quotes from officers and airmen who served at RAF Norton (not always willingly!), it really brings the place to life. I lived in one of the married quarters on Bowman Drive as a lad in the mid to late '70s and have many fond memories of playing on the old station site- this book is very illuminating, and has gone a long way towards satisfying my curiosity about the place. Mr Read, I salute you sir!

I second that. I've just started to read this book, it's a fascinating insight into life at Norton. It's extremely well written with superb explanations of how things worked there, well done.

Was this the Norton Aerodrome that is situated where I think the Bochum Parway now is? Just across the road from Norton Lane? I used to play in what were abandoned buildings there when I was young. Once we started up the boiler in one of buildings and about 10 million cockroaches came out of the walls. Another time, we swiped an old door - we were going to use it for the Guy Fawkes bonfire - got stopped by police while crossing Norton Lane with it.

I was brought up on the Norton Park estate and vaguely remember watching an air show from our back garden - that must ahve been Norton aerodrome.

You are talking about the old prefabs. That was the Norton FIRE STATION.

I used to live accross the road at 155 Norton Lane..Played with the fire station kid and some squatters who live in the abandoned older units at the back.Talking about 60 years ago..The aerodrome was futher up towards Gleadless and beyond Bagshaw park...long gone now?? Or is it??

You are talking about the old prefabs. That was the Norton FIRE STATION.

I used to live accross the road at 155 Norton Lane..Played with the fire station kid and some squatters who live in the abandoned older units at the back.Talking about 60 years ago..The aerodrome was futher up towards Gleadless and beyond Bagshaw park...long gone now?? Or is it??

Some of the building were probably the remains of the Coal Aston Aerodrome (yes, Coal Aston - even though the village is away over the hill) and the Admiralty's Norton Gauge Factory" .

Archived