Takeaway pizza for a pizza snob in S6

bluecanary

This isn't so much going out as staying in, but here goes... Have recently moved to S6 and am trying to find a good pizza takeaway. The problem is that I'm really fussy about pizza. I love the Italian thin-based ones that tend not to be swimming in grease and cheese (controversial, I know) - like the ones Pizza Express do. Any suggestions?

In all seriousness, buy a pizza stone, have a practice with the dough which is really easy, freezes for ages and just make your own! The only place that is half way worth visiting for a real pizza is Vittles in Broomhill, depends how close that is to you if it's useful.

A pizza stone - that's an interesting thought - any idea where I could get one? Not very useful when you're feeling peckish on the way home from the pub, but it might come in useful on other occassions!

Is Vittels the little cafe in Broomhill on the corner that only opens during the day?

You could use your pizza stone to render unconscious anyone who had already purchased food, steal and run off under cover of night, although your pizza stone might slow you down a tad maybe. The 'Professional' Cookware company in Meadowhall sometimes has them, as does House of Fraser, oddly difficult to buy for something so eminently useful, I'm sure a quick Googling would bring up lots of results, to be honest any lump of stone will do the job, as long as it won't shatter when it gets hot it's not so heavy as to break your oven shelves or take a week to get properly hot. The heat from underneath cooks the dough to a nice crisp slightly toasty finish while the ambient heat of the oven just warms the top and melts the cheese.

You're right, I don't mean Vittles, I had a feeling the name was wrong, I mean the little place just on the corner a few doors down from Buon Deli and Lloyds TSB, Nibbles I think, sorry, I always get the names of the places confused, sorry. I don't live ever so close any more so don't get in there v. often now

This isn't so much going out as staying in, but here goes... Have recently moved to S6 and am trying to find a good pizza takeaway. The problem is that I'm really fussy about pizza. I love the Italian thin-based ones that tend not to be swimming in grease and cheese (controversial, I know) - like the ones Pizza Express do. Any suggestions?

Dunno if they deliver to S6 (should think so) but Portofino's on Chesterfield Rd are an Italian restaurant who deliver. Their pizzas are pretty good (as good as any pizza that's not straight out of the oven onto the table can be).

Can't help on the takeaway which you describe - pizza hut and dominos do deliver to parts of S6, but appreciate its still not quite what you are after.

John Lewis do pizza stones, I would imagine Debenhams and House of Fraser do too. Any decent cook shop probably will these days.

I have 2 and can't fault them, only thing better would be a proper pizza oven that gets really hot!

Archived