Takeaway pizza for a pizza snob in S6

bluecanary

Its is annoying when you can get a massive really nice pizza for about £4 in Italy and in the Uk you pay £7 for doughy rubbish with plastic cheese. Maybe one of the countless pizza+kebab+ fried chicken places might clean up if they actually started making decent pizzas - but then again maybe peope prefer the rubbish ones...

Couldn't agree more. Went to Italy on holiday this year, and even in the expensive touristy places like Venice you can get pizzas which are far better than the poor attempts that are served up here,and you don't have to go far from the beaten track to get decent prices too. Then there's the wine. And the ice cream.... but I digress!

I suppose there must be a market for the greasy, plastic cheese rubbish, the same as there is for the offensively red muck that passes for Indian food. Thank God for fish and chips - there's not a great deal that can be done to bastardise this (I stand to be proved wrong....!)

Agree on Italy and Pizza's but fish and chips! I've yet to find anything in sheffield that would even stand up to reasonable. There is an awful lot you can do wrong with fish and chips starting with not having fresh fish and decent crispy batter.

Any ideas on a good chippy and a good pizza takeaway are more than welcome!

Being from Lincolnshire I'm used to good fish and chips and was shocked at the lack of quality of chips up here, most gave me stomach ache after eating, but the best I've found has to be the one ran by an old couple who still use lard on Valley Road, only open at teatime I think but yeah, amazing quality, they do these nice pies too, meat and potato being the best!

I see your point, but this probably comes under the category of poor quality/lack of fresh ingredients rather than taking the basic idea of the dish and turning into something completely unrecognisable.

The best place to eat fish and chips is most definitely out of newspaper at the seaside, but failing that, Broomhead chippy and Bole Hill Chippy, both in Crookes, do a pretty good attempt.

Agree on Italy and Pizza's but fish and chips! I've yet to find anything in sheffield that would even stand up to reasonable. There is an awful lot you can do wrong with fish and chips starting with not having fresh fish and decent crispy batter.

Any ideas on a good chippy and a good pizza takeaway are more than welcome!

I reckon the best chippy is Abbey Friar at Millhouses.

The chap who runs it must have been working there nigh on 25 years as I remember him working there when I was a boy.

Nice thin crispy batter , moist flaky fish and tasty chips.

Consistent good quality.

Most other places you get awful claggy batter.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of feedback - ordered from Perfect Cuisine the other night and was very impressed. Took a while to turn up (they phoned to apologise, which was unusual but much appreciated) but once the order arrived, we were very impressed with the pizzas. Was probably the closest to the 'real thing' that I've experienced outside a restaurant in the UK (and better than some restaurants too!). In fact was so nice, that I'm ashamed to say that we finished off the rest for breakfast the next day - felt almost like being students again!

Thanks to previous posters for the recommendation!

Archived