Y.H.A. Shop on Gibralter Street,Shalesmoor, Sheffield

In the early 1950s the Youth Hostel Association ( YHA ) had a shop on Gibraltar Street on Shales-moor. The young woman who worked their would often serve as the warden at Bretton Youth Hostel at weekends. I believe she lived near Encliffe Park. The manager was called Alan Day. He must have left to become manager of ' Jackson & Warr ' a newly opened outdoor equipment shop which was situated on Corporation Street soon after 1958.

All the lot has gone now. What, where and when did this happen?

In the early 1950s the Youth Hostel Association ( YHA ) had a shop on Gibraltar Street on Shales-moor. The young woman who worked their would often serve as the warden at Bretton Youth Hostel at weekends. I believe she lived near Encliffe Park. The manager was called Alan Day. He must have left to become manager of ' Jackson & Warr ' a newly opened outdoor equipment shop which was situated on Corporation Street soon after 1958.

All the lot has gone now. What, where and when did this happen?

Yeah, I remember the YHA shop, I bought a commando ruc sac from there and Alan let me pay 5/- a week for it. I also bought my first pair of skiis and lace up ski boots from Jackson's. Alan was a really nice guy, he later moved to London to manage one of the outdoor stores there. I can't remember the name of the store though.

I used the shop in my early teens, when I was into hiking and potholing. That would be about 1954 onwards and, short of Millets and Bunneys, it is the only shop I can remember catering for those activities.

Were you one of the group of people who use to decend the ' Lead Mine Shafts ' above Bradwell?

I well remember the YHA shop on Gibraltar Street. It was still there in the late 1960s. I joined the YHA there in January 1966, and I think the lady who ran the shop was called Joan Stone - I don't know where she lived. She was very helpful and pleasant, and once let me have an anorak cheap as it had been in stock a long time. It fit like a glove and kept me warm on Kinder Scout and Bleaklow... I thought the shop in Corporation Street was Black's (?).

I well remember the YHA shop on Gibraltar Street. It was still there in the late 1960s. I joined the YHA there in January 1966, and I think the lady who ran the shop was called Joan Stone - I don't know where she lived. She was very helpful and pleasant, and once let me have an anorak cheap as it had been in stock a long time. It fit like a glove and kept me warm on Kinder Scout and Bleaklow... I thought the shop in Corporation Street was Black's (?).

Thank you for reminding me of the name Joan Stone. I'm almost sure that she lived near Encliffe Park. (Sharrow Vale/Penville Road?). It would be nice for her to join us here because she must have a enormous number of interesting tales to tell about the shop life and at the time, (weekend opening only), Bretton Youth Hostel.

Jackson & Warr was at 18 - 20 Corporation Street (Advert 1963) though it may have later been absorbed into Blacks when they opened shop on Earl Street off the Moor. Sheffield.

I bought my Blacks ultra light weight Tyrolean good companions one duealuml 'A' pole tent from them specially made to order costing me £50.00 at the time.

Ultra light weight and at that time very expensive!!

(It was before I got married cus I never been able to afford to replace it!!)

Anyone remember Joan Stone or her husband?

Archived