Bastock Road history.

l bastock

Most of those side roads on that side of Penistone Road had houses on up to about 25/30 years ago, Beulah Road, Tanfield etc...up towards Bassetts sweet factory

I can't be 100% sure, but they may have been cleared for two reasons;-

1) they may have been classed as general slum clearance, (As our council was so fond of doing) and demolished, or

2) it may have been a CPO (Compulsory Purchase Order) for the road widening scheme along from Owlerton.

I remember, in the early 1980s (About 82/3) a huge swathe of properties being demolished on the opposite side of the road, from around the bottom of Bradfield Road along towards the park, past the Swann-morton factory.

There were two pubs on that strip, that I can remember; the Cricketers, opposite Owlerton Church, and the Victoria, a bit further along toward the football ground.

There were two pubs on that strip, that I can remember; the Cricketers, opposite Owlerton Church, and the Victoria, a bit further along toward the football ground.

Actually, it was the Sportsman's Ground and the Vic that went due to the widening of Penistone Road. I think Bastock and Tanfield along with Lofthouse, Grant, Harewood, Dutton and Beulah Roads all went as part of the slum clearance, and to be fair the houses were pretty poor. Two up, two down mainly with no hot water and outside toilets although I have many fond memories of living on Lofthouse up to the age of twelve. Lofthouse Road went in 1982, my grandmother (103 at the time) being the last one to move out.

Yep I agree, the properties on the same side as the park went for road widening, then they built a new Lily's and a paper shop.

The ones on the other side, Grant, Beulah etc were emptied as part of slum clearance but were used in the film Threads about a nulcear attack on Sheffield, so they had a bit of fame before they went.

The ones on the other side, Grant, Beulah etc were emptied as part of slum clearance but were used in the film Threads about a nulcear attack on Sheffield, so they had a bit of fame before they went.

I remember seeing that film when I was a kid. Does anybody know if it's available on VHS or DVD?

A lot of the roads around the area of hillsborough Park were named after members or staff of the Dixon family that lived in and owned Hillsborough Park.

I'm not sure about the name Bastock but it could be one of the names of a member of staff although I'll stand corrected.

It would be interesting to know the real source of the name, maybe one of the forummers could enlighten us.

The houses opposite the park on Penistone Road were demolished in 1986.

Happy Days

Actually, it was the Sportsman's Ground and the Vic that went due to the widening of Penistone Road. I think Bastock and Tanfield along with Lofthouse, Grant, Harewood, Dutton and Beulah Roads all went as part of the slum clearance, and to be fair the houses were pretty poor. Two up, two down mainly with no hot water and outside toilets although I have many fond memories of living on Lofthouse up to the age of twelve. Lofthouse Road went in 1982, my grandmother (103 at the time) being the last one to move out.

sorry, royal, yes you are right it was the Sportsman's Ground that I meant. Why did I think it was the cricketers? was the sign a cricket match, or something?

sorry, royal, yes you are right it was the Sportsman's Ground that I meant. Why did I think it was the cricketers? was the sign a cricket match, or something?

If I remember right, the sign featured a boxing ring. Apparently, at one time there were boxing matches at the rear of the Sportsman.

And while I think on, the Royal was also demolished. That was on the corner of Penistone and Bradfield Roads.

Archived