How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

The lease is up for sale and I'm not too sure if it's actually open at present.

(No doubt it will soon make way for more 'luxury' apartments....)

I know......just wondered about how popular it was these days....its a 300 year old property you know and unlikely to be demolished for housing

The Plough is still open. Customers are surprisingly few considering the catchment area......but the pub definitely needs a good overhaul inside, as all the furniture is tatty and threadbare.

Also the 'entertainment' offered is a little sparse. No Sky, so no-one in on football days. The quizzes are okay, but aimed at a demographic slightly older than average (I'm 42, and often the quizzes contain questions about popular culture from a time before I can remember - so any youngsters are well out of it).

It is a pub with potential though.

Ade

Whats fascinating is the fact that most of the ceiling in this pub is false, and hangs on chains from the original roof one floor above, leaving only a tiny living area upstairs as you cant walk on half of the upper floors as they are 'false'. Needs a lot of money spending on it to put back the original floors......

.....it was totally ripped apart in 1982 to become a Whitbread 'fun' pub, featuring a huge Plough suspended from the roof, all black or very dark brown walls, curious raised seating up iron spiral staircases, etc..very popular in the 80's, so why they decided to try and put it back to how it was pre 1982 I have no idea........in fact anyone who has any snaps taken in here between 82 and 87, those years when it was a huge cavernous and dark 'fun pub', let me know as want to see it again like that....

I remember it with the 'upstairs' room, and how busy it used to be. I also remember not too many years ago when the bar was split into two.

Personally I like the long bar - but the pub as a whole needs a revamp.

Anyhow, it's cheap beer tonight (by the Plough standards!), and shots too :)

Yes, they closed last Monday. The people who had it wanted out, and are no longer running the pub. There was talk of a manager being brought in by the brewery to run it until new tenants/owners/whatever are found, but that hasn't happened yet.

Ade

Archived