How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

As the new lessee of the Plough I have recently been informed about comments posted on this website. May I suggest that anyone interested can initially meet with myself and the new Managers on

9th March at midday where I would be delighted to listen to your views.......

Do you mean 9th April? This thread has jumped about quite a bit and not seen this post before my previous post, if you see what I mean....hang on, do I know what i mean here?

Now let us enter the real world. The pub at present is on approval - nothing has been signed for under contract. Hawk Inns have it for a trial period. It has been redecorated and the stools are away for recovering, but no other major refurbishment has been undertaken atthis stage. Hawk Inns obviously want to see how the business is performing before they sign the contract. No business is going to invest heavily until satisfied that the pub is viable. Hawk Inns hae also shown willing by lowering the beer prices

Just who is HAWK INNS? There is nothing about them on the internet other than a Hawk Inns North limited registered at a Sheffield address 13 Norton Park Crescent which I found on google. There are some licence applications made in the name of Hawk Inns at Rotherham Council for the Yorkshire Terrier Inn, Crinoline Bridge Inn in Rotherham, so I assume they own a portfolio of premises? Not a name I am familiar with so be interested to hear more about the company and the pubs they hold....

The technical term for a 'pub on approval' is Tenancy at Will, where either party, Enterprize Inns or the potential tenant/leaseholder can terminate with very short notice at any time. A lot of operators do this when checking out the viaibility of a new premises, just to test the waters and see if its worth signing a legally binding contractual obligation. However, this should be kept secret from the public ideally as it shows lack of confidence, and a strong operator can really inspire local confidence and increase trade if the public think he has taken it lock stock and barrel and is there to make their lives better. No one needs to know its 'on approval'.....

When I took on the Dove it was actually 'on approval' for a very short period, but no one knew that because it was not necessary for anyone to know this. I also closed it down for a full week and did a full internal refurb before a grand re-opening, because it needed to make a fresh statement and not just carry on with its previous dying image. Without such a new and bold statement, I am convinced the Dove would now be closed for good...it's so important to get the first impressions right as I keep saying, and its something that is impossible to do afterwards. It's just basic common sense really but I believe get this part right and you can save ANY pub from the bulldozer......

And while I see the merits of the argument about not willing to invest until satisfied that the pub is viable, it would have been better to have had some kind of 'grand re-opening' (after a very basic internal refurb at least) with some good local publicity rather than just open up the doors without notice with a temp manager and not advertise anything at all and expect people to come in. :loopy:It's simply not a good way to test the market reliably. That is something I don't think any other Operator would do, you need to make the changes and have a grand, or even mini-grand, official re-opening, otherwise the statement being made to the public is showing lack of confidence and vision.

Hey All

I am a close personal friend of the new management team and have been privvy to some of the plans for the pub, the menu, entertainment and the future of the plough.

Lee and Hannah will be transforming the pub, they will be offering reasonably priced, home cooked food and believe me, this food will blow you away. All of your favourites and some modern classics - all made with the best local ingredients and cooked fresh everyday.

Beyond that, Lee and Hannah are as friendly, happy going people as you could wish for and seeing the *miracles* they have worked in the past, I think you will all be blown away.

They have not taken over yet, but plans are in place and there will even be a website showing off the menu, offers and much more. There will also be a mailing list so sign up with your email to keep up to date on the plans for the pub and for some discounts for food and beer. We know that once we get you in the door, you WILL be back for more.

We will also be looking at all the other local pubs and hopefully getting a good regular crowd so it will be friendly, comfortable pub that hopefully some of you would call home.

Obviously, there is no better promotion than word of mouth so once they take over late this month, pop down, sample the food and TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Here's to The Plough - See you soon!

Hey wonderboy,

Not really, I was just looking for information on the pub and stumbled across the thread and just wanted to update some of the people on here who were looking for info.

The pub will have a website of it's own soon, and if demand requires it we can set up a forum of it's own, which is a brave move as if we did not believe in the food and atmosphere that will be created then we would not set up a public board for discussion when there would be so many bad comments.

As it goes, I guess you are right a little, I just wanted to big up my friends new project but I will step off now, the pub and food will do the rest of the talking.

we will just let you guys do the rest of the talking but I sincerely hope you try it out!

All the best, hopefully see you in there some time?

Hey wonderboy,

Not really, I was just looking for information on the pub and stumbled across the thread and just wanted to update some of the people on here who were looking for info.

The pub will have a website of it's own soon, and if demand requires it we can set up a forum of it's own, which is a brave move as if we did not believe in the food and atmosphere that will be created then we would not set up a public board for discussion when there would be so many bad comments.

As it goes, I guess you are right a little, I just wanted to big up my friends new project but I will step off now, the pub and food will do the rest of the talking.

we will just let you guys do the rest of the talking but I sincerely hope you try it out!

All the best, hopefully see you in there some time?

What is your involvement freeradical? You say you're doing this for your friends but then use the word 'we', rather than 'they', implying you're personally involved in this business.

Hey All

I am a close personal friend of the new management team and have been privvy to some of the plans for the pub, the menu, entertainment and the future of the plough.

Lee and Hannah will be transforming the pub, they will be offering reasonably priced, home cooked food and believe me, this food will blow you away. All of your favourites and some modern classics - all made with the best local ingredients and cooked fresh everyday.

Beyond that, Lee and Hannah are as friendly, happy going people as you could wish for and seeing the *miracles* they have worked in the past, I think you will all be blown away.

They have not taken over yet, but plans are in place and there will even be a website showing off the menu, offers and much more. There will also be a mailing list so sign up with your email to keep up to date on the plans for the pub and for some discounts for food and beer. We know that once we get you in the door, you WILL be back for more.

We will also be looking at all the other local pubs and hopefully getting a good regular crowd so it will be friendly, comfortable pub that hopefully some of you would call home.

Obviously, there is no better promotion than word of mouth so once they take over late this month, pop down, sample the food and TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Here's to The Plough - See you soon!

That sounds like great news good luck.

It usually takes a lot of hard work to get a business up and running but it sounds like they have the right approach and hopefully it will pay off.

Lee and Hannah will be transforming the pub....Beyond that, Lee and Hannah are as friendly, happy going people as you could wish for and seeing the *miracles* they have worked in the past, I think you will all be blown away.

Good publicity there but can you reveal which *miracles* they have worked in the past and at which other venues? It's all a bit mysterious, don't know anything about Hawk Inns either. Please provide further details I am intrigued about the *miracles* you refer to.......

Archived