How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

What a shame! Wish I lived a bit closer, I'd give it a try. Trouble is, when a place gets rundown, people find other watering holes. They really should have some sort of 'event' to get more interest. Couple of bank holidays coming up and then soon be the summer. That might get more people in.

I drive past twice a day at least and have only seen 1 car there at any time, except when all the football fans park there for the match in the grounds opposite, and all of those seem to use the footie ground public bar and not the Plough......can't imagine why as surely it wil be expensive in a footie ground for a pint compared to a pub?

Anyway, my very best wishes to the team running it, it's a pub close to my heart being a favourite haunt of mine back in the 80's.....but times have changed indeed and its a hard life for any pub these days...

Thanks for that information Goldenfleece. Also, I gather from this thread that you have the Dove and Rainbow (no fooling me!) Ashamed to say, not been in there for decades either! I vaguely remember the Golden Fleece pub. Was that you, too?

The only Golden Fleece pub I know is in Nottingham, and I think there's one in YOrk or around that area too. Was there one in SHeffield?

Yes the Dove is mine, and interested to know what the DOve looked like last time you were here. I am trying DESPERATELY to source some old photos but I cant find anything except a few exterior shots in the SHeffield Archives......

Hey All

It's been a busy couple of weeks and as ever nothing is ever as easy as it should so apologies for slow update.

Ok, so the new management team are now in place and have been in the pub for a full week now and things are going well. Despite what has been said above there are people drinking in the pub on a regular basis and Friday's are quite busy.

The Pub

We are getting some hanging baskets fitted outside in the next few days and have started to put out some parasols on the tables to show there is some life in the old girl. They have also had an initial spruce up inside, hung some pictures and generally smartened it up a bit.

The Beer

By all accounts, the temp manager was not doing much of a job and if a boozer has not even got a decent pint of beer, it is a sorry state of affairs! Well, to remedy this the whole system has been cleaned out, the cellar has been ripped out and refitted with totally new pumps and the beer supply has been totally replaced so you can now guarantee a good pint!

The Food

Getting the food back on has slowed down a bit as the kitchen was not up to scratch, to put this right there is a completely new kitchen being fitted this week and once that is finished we can start to get the produce in and start to test the menu. As it happens, the food should be going back on in approx 3 weeks but it's hard to put an exact date on it till the kitchen is finished, suppliers are tested, and menu is all prepared and finalised - as soon as we have a date, we will let you know.

The menu itself is provisionally written and if there is any interest and a show of hands in this thread I can post it up here.

Promotion of the pub

The management have a lot of work to do to get the pub back up to scratch before it is properly promoted again but the beer is sorted, it has been spruced up and the kitchen and food is getting sorted right now. Once there is a firm foundation, we can start to promote the pub and get it going again, but this is where we need the help of the good and interested people of this forum.

We will be having some leaflets printed up to announce the re-opening of the pub, the menu and the new management and we will be dropping these door to door to get the locals interest. Beyond that, we will be doing some digital promotions that I will detail below.

The website + mailing list

The website is coming very soon, and with the website will be a mailing list. The idea being that we will keep everyone up to date and offer a range of special offers exclusive to the email list + every month someone on the list will win a free meal for two so there is a real good reason for you to sign up.

The website and mailing list is my department and I aim to have this up and running (in some form) by the end of the week. You will be able to subscribe to the mailing list on the site and obviously, the sooner you sign up, the smaller the list, the more chance you have of winning that free meal!

Watch this space for the website!

---

Beyond all of that, like any business, lots of money is being ploughed into the pub (ploughed - get it? :)) to get it up to scratch and we need customers, happy, repeat customers to keep making improvements.

The current goals are fairly simple and really just revolves around getting the pub back up to scratch and to start doing the basics well again, beyond that we want to get people in and experiencing the food as we know, once word of mouth starts getting about, we can concentrate on just getting the food on the plates.

So, if you guys are interested in the menu, let me know, also, if any of you want to get on the mailing list before I launch the site just drop me a personal message with your email address and I will get you on the list.

I will also be back as soon as there is anything else to report with regards to the pub, the website, the food etc.

Any questions, just let me know and I will swing by every couple of days and update the thread.

Cheers all!

Ok folks, this is provisional, but will give you an idea. We need to go through it so I will post it up bit by bit today.

Sarnies

The “Plough” Ploughman’s (V)

Mature Cheddar, home pickled Cucumber, Gem Lettuce & Pickle

Home roast Ham & Mustard

Honey roast Ham & Wholegrain Mustard

Sirloin, Onion & grilled Mushrooms

Seared Sirloin Steak, Caramelised Onions & flash fried Mushrooms

Grilled Pepper, Tomato & Mozzarella (V)

Charred Pepper & Tomato with Herbed Mozzarella

Big B.L.T

Lots of crispy Bacon, Gem Lettuce & Beef Tomato

ALL SERVED ON WHITE OR BROWN BLOOMER BREAD, WITH A DRESSED SALAD

Desserts

Bread & Butter Pudding & rich Butterscotch

Homemade to Mrs Melvin’s original recipe

Trio of Ice Cream with Brandysnap crust

Vanilla with Vanilla pod, Strawberry with Strawberry pieces & Chocolate Chip

Lemon tart with Clotted Cream & candied Lime

A rich Lemon tart with light shortcrust pastry & Devonshire clotted Cream

Summer Pudding with Ginger Ice Cream

Traditional Summer Pudding with Brandied Berries & rich Ginger Ice Cream

---

I have got to start work in 5 mins but will go over the starters and mains menu and get that up later today! All feedback welcome and please remember this is just the sarnies and pudding menu, there are starters, light bites and mains to follow!

Ok folks, this is provisional, but will give you an idea. We need to go through it so I will post it up bit by bit today.

Sarnies

The “Plough” Ploughman’s (V)

Mature Cheddar, home pickled Cucumber, Gem Lettuce & Pickle

Home roast Ham & Mustard

Honey roast Ham & Wholegrain Mustard

Sirloin, Onion & grilled Mushrooms

Seared Sirloin Steak, Caramelised Onions & flash fried Mushrooms

Grilled Pepper, Tomato & Mozzarella (V)

Charred Pepper & Tomato with Herbed Mozzarella

Big B.L.T

Lots of crispy Bacon, Gem Lettuce & Beef Tomato

ALL SERVED ON WHITE OR BROWN BLOOMER BREAD, WITH A DRESSED SALAD

Desserts

Bread & Butter Pudding & rich Butterscotch

Homemade to Mrs Melvin’s original recipe

Trio of Ice Cream with Brandysnap crust

Vanilla with Vanilla pod, Strawberry with Strawberry pieces & Chocolate Chip

Lemon tart with Clotted Cream & candied Lime

A rich Lemon tart with light shortcrust pastry & Devonshire clotted Cream

Summer Pudding with Ginger Ice Cream

Traditional Summer Pudding with Brandied Berries & rich Ginger Ice Cream

---

I have got to start work in 5 mins but will go over the starters and mains menu and get that up later today! All feedback welcome and please remember this is just the sarnies and pudding menu, there are starters, light bites and mains to follow!

Thanks for that freeradical, the puddings look ok, but the sandwiches are pretty 'conventional', need something a bit more exciting to get bums on seats, but perhaps this will be addressed in the main courses and lighter meals??

Archived