How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

The thinking behind the menu, and the sarnies is that we will start with simple food, done really well, nothing to fancy, especially in the sarnies as who really goes and orders a Feta, Rocket and sundried tomato focaccia to go with a pint of ale? Not me at least. :)

Another idea, and something we can do that no other pub does is promote user feedback to the menu options and choices. Once the mailing list is built up we can ask for menu suggestions, select the top 5 and put it to a vote and the winner gets to come in and sample his suggestion - all just an idea at the moment but the pub is for the people, and we want to listen and provide the kind of personal experience that you just don't get at the faceless pubs and chains.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, here are the starters/light bites, mains and sides:

Smalls

Freshly made soup of the day

Served with a warm crusty bread roll

Flash fried wild Mushrooms & Garlic (V)

On charred toast

70’s Style big Prawn & Crayfish Cocktail

With Wholemeal Bread & Butter

Homemade Chicken Liver Pate

With Warm toasted Ciabatta & homemade Chutney

Baby homemade Salmon cakes

Served with a sweet Chilli dipping sauce

Bigs

The Plough homemade burger

8oz of prime minced Steak with wholegrain Mustard, Horseradish, Onions & Garlic topped with Beef Tomato, Gem Lettuce & Yorkshire Cheese on a toasted Foccacia bun served with homemade fat Chips

Big Fish & Chips

10oz of Haddock fillet in our light lager batter with homemade fat Chips, half Lemon & Minted Pea Puree

Classic Sausage & Mash

Three succulent Pork & Sage Sausages on smooth Mash, with seasonal Vegetables served with pan juice Gravy

Very slow braised Lamb Shank

Served with Lemon Minted Jersey Royals & Honey roast Carrots with a Rosemary & Redcurrant Jus

Roast Squash & Cherry Tomato Risotto (V)

With Goats Cheese Garlic toast

Steaks & Grills

10oz Ribeye Steak

The best cut served with roasted Beef Tomatoes & a large flat Mushroom

8oz Rump Steak

Succulent & tender with roasted Beef Tomatoes & a large flat Mushroom

8oz Gammon

A “Massive” horseshoe served with free range Egg & Pineapple ring

Charred flat Mushrooms (V)

Stuffed with grilled Tomatoes & Courgettes topped with a Parmesan crust

ALL SERVED WITH HOMEMADE FAT CHIPS & DRESSED SALAD

PIES

Braised Beef & Potato with Black Sheep Ale

With baby Onions & pan juice Gravy

Chicken & Smoked Bacon

Free range Chicken, Smoked Bacon & Vegetables

Broccoli, Leek & Yorkshire tasty Cheese (V)

All in a creamy Onion & Garlic sauce

ALL SERVED WITH SMOOTH MASH, SUGARSNAP PEAS & EXTRA PAN JUICE GRAVY

Sides

Fat Chips with Garlic Mayo

Seasonal Vegetables

Dressed mixed Salad

Warm Bread rolls & Butter

---

Again, comments and feedback is welcomed and I will pop along again this evening to answer any questions any of you may have.

If you are interested in getting details straight through to your mailbox please message me your email address and I will keep you in the loop.

Thanks for that freeradical, the puddings look ok, but the sandwiches are pretty 'conventional', need something a bit more exciting to get bums on seats, but perhaps this will be addressed in the main courses and lighter meals??

This is PUB food for heaven's sake!!! I totally agree with Freeradical about keeping it simple. I certainly don't want any feta, rocket and sun dried tomato focaccias either. This is what spoils pub food.

Hey RedRuby, we agree 100%.

What spoils pub food is two things:

A - a fancy sounding, overpriced menu, with crap ingredients and chef trying to do restauraunt grub on a pub food budget

B - a decent sounding menu of classics, but the food is shipped in, half prepared, cheap as possible and tastes like ****

---

So, what is the remedy to this? The way we see it is this: a simple, seasonally rotated menu with a few twists to a whole bunch of modern classics - the key (and I know I am repeating myself here but I wish to stress the point) is that they will be done REALLY WELL.

Everything home made, the right way! High quality, local produce. And the flair of a chef who knows that the best meals are the ones you used to have at home on a sunday cooked by your mom / nan.

Good, simple, well done, home cooked food. (i'm making myself hungry here)

--

The comments are all really interesting and useful though, so, please keep them coming. BoyFriday, can you give us some feedback on the rest of the menu? Anything on there that sparks your interest?

I am back to work now but please post any more questions and I will check again later this evening.

Cheers all!

Hey RedRuby, we agree 100%.

What spoils pub food is two things:

A - a fancy sounding, overpriced menu, with crap ingredients and chef trying to do restauraunt grub on a pub food budget

B - a decent sounding menu of classics, but the food is shipped in, half prepared, cheap as possible and tastes like ****

---

So, what is the remedy to this? The way we see it is this: a simple, seasonally rotated menu with a few twists to a whole bunch of modern classics - the key (and I know I am repeating myself here but I wish to stress the point) is that they will be done REALLY WELL.

Everything home made, the right way! High quality, local produce. And the flair of a chef who knows that the best meals are the ones you used to have at home on a sunday cooked by your mom / nan.

Good, simple, well done, home cooked food. (i'm making myself hungry here)

--

The comments are all really interesting and useful though, so, please keep them coming. BoyFriday, can you give us some feedback on the rest of the menu? Anything on there that sparks your interest?

I am back to work now but please post any more questions and I will check again later this evening.

Cheers all!

Menu looks great - nice selection - and I agree that the sandwiches are better as simple classics done well.

My only 'problem' is with the 'fat chips'. Chips are best as they should be. A fat chip is more like a cheats roast potato!

And I like an option to add to a burger - maybe one of those large flat mushrooms and some of that crispy bacon..mmmmm.

Oh, and a granary / seeded type bread option for the sandwiches..

This is PUB food for heaven's sake!!! I totally agree with Freeradical about keeping it simple. I certainly don't want any feta, rocket and sun dried tomato focaccias either. This is what spoils pub food.

Ok calm down!

I'm not a fan of feta, rocket or sun dried tomato myself..don't recall saying I

I was!

Let's not forget this was/is a business that was struggling, even though it was reknowed for it's food, which I thoroughly enjoyed previously..with not a rocket leaf or sun dried tomato in sight!

It's a very very competitive market, as Goldenfleece will tell you, and to get the locals, visitors to Hallam FC and the wider community to visit in the numbers to make it viable will need some seriously original thinking..that was the point I was making :)

Hi freeradical, the mains look slightly more exciting than the sandwiches, and I think you rightly place the emphasis on home cooked food and fresh ingredients.

I also agree it should be simple, but that doesn't have to translate into boring, which is what I thought of the sandwich suggestions.

I had never been a visitor to The Plough before a year ago, but one menu item that took me back again and again were the fat, homemade chips, fried hard and unpeeled..you can't get much simpler or easy to prepare than that!

Once a committed diner I then enjoyed other dishes from the menu, knowing that a pub kitchen that can get the chips right is likely to do other things well too...hope you enjoy similar success with your ethos..and well done for listening to your potential customers :)

The only Golden Fleece pub I know is in Nottingham, and I think there's one in YOrk or around that area too. Was there one in SHeffield?

Yes the Dove is mine, and interested to know what the DOve looked like last time you were here. I am trying DESPERATELY to source some old photos but I cant find anything except a few exterior shots in the SHeffield Archives......

Think I was mistaken with the Golden Fleece pub in Sheffield. Must have been somewhere else. God knows where I was!

Sorry, can't help with any photos or description of the Dove. Must have been early 80s when I was last in there, and it was always so packed, you couldn't actually see the internal decor! In fact, I think we mainly used to stand outside. I'll ask around see if anyone else has pics.

Archived