How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

I think the menu sounds delicious! As far as pub food is concerned, I much prefer the old faithfuls which have been prepared and served with pride, than fancy 'nouveau' food which most people would probably go to a restaurant for. I personally prefer quarter pound burgers, and 5oz steaks rather than the 'big' choices, but my other arf always finishes what I can't manage anyway!

Are there any plans for Sunday roasts? Carveries do really well, and not just on Sundays. Some of the chains also offer the roast meat in a baguette, plus roast potatoes, as a lunch time option. That might be a good idea for the Sunday cricket matches as a takeaway option. I know in a way that is defeating the object of getting people into the pub to buy drinks, but it might at least get them in.

My sister and her family live close to this pub, and they were regulars, so you may get them back- I'll have to ask her what she thinks if they've been back in already.

I'd sample the food and the menu sounds spot on- just one 'small' criticism, though.

What is charred toast????????????? Isn't this a tautology? Isn't all toast 'charred' to a certain extent? Surely it isn't burned??

Sorry, but I'd just laugh at such a pretentious item- what's wrong with toast??? Pure and simple?

Think charred means very well done. Bit of black charcoal on the toast - good for the digestion. Next time I'm in Sheffield I'll certainly call in for a meal and give it a try. The pub has quite a big catchment area so, if word gets around that the grub and ale's good, it could soon re-establish its popularity. Good luck.

My sister and her family live close to this pub, and they were regulars, so you may get them back- I'll have to ask her what she thinks if they've been back in already.

I'd sample the food and the menu sounds spot on- just one 'small' criticism, though.

What is charred toast????????????? Isn't this a tautology? Isn't all toast 'charred' to a certain extent? Surely it isn't burned??

Sorry, but I'd just laugh at such a pretentious item- what's wrong with toast??? Pure and simple?

It's so that if they've run out of charred toast, they can offer charred bread as an alternative.

Hi,

How exactly are you intending to get people in to eat there? Not roughly, but 'exactly'.

The previous couple did wonderful food, and their themed nights were great - but the pub isn't in an area where you get passing trade, there are no businesses around to support lunchtime food, so who exactly is going to come in and eat?

That's a serious question, not intended in a confrontational way. I would be absolutely amazed if the food was better than provided before - but I still don't think there's any easy solution to getting eaters in the pub. As far as standards go, the food on the themed nights they did was better than that provided in any of the nearby restaurants - it really was that good.

I really think the Plough needs to concentrate on getting drinkers in, before worrying about a menu. So far, the crowds inside are no better than the previous tenants had - so it doesn't look any more sustainable.

Ade

Hey all, thanks for the comments. I will pass the comments about the menu onto the chef and get a list of the cask ales for you guys.

Hey Ade65

The 'exact' specifics of how we are going to get people into the pub are not finalised, but where most pubs go as far as putting a sandwich board outside, we will be developing a full marketing plan to get people into the pub and keep them coming back.

The first step is to getting the foundations in place which is well underway and the food should be back on by the end of this month.

At the moment we are looking at various target markets: OAPs, the football ground, local business, local people, young, old, etc. We will be trying various low cost marketing schemes at all target markets including, special offers, special menu's etc.

We will be printing out leaflets specific to each market and doing leaflet drops, the leaflets will give access to a special offer or discount of some kind and should stimulate interest.

We will be looking to gather email addresses for all customers and building an email mailing list and giving members of the list access to special offers that are only available through the list. There will also be a weekly/monthly prizes of free meals and the list will be used to gather feedback and determine interest in various special events/menus/etc.

Obviously, no marketing plan is guaranteed, it is a case of try, measure, drop if it does not work and scale it up if it does. We will look to try three different schemes at all times and constantly try new ones each month.

Over time, through this low budget, sledgehammer marketing, along with the mailing list which costs next to nothing (benefits of having a technical friend with their own web development / design / marketing business) we will look to build up a regular trade.

There are a lot of warm references to the previous couple that run the pub, and it sounds like they got everything, within the doors of the pub right, the only thing I can imagine they did not do was any work to get people through the doors, which is a shame, as it sounds like they did a cracking job.

So, as mentioned, it is hard to give you an 'exact' list of what we will be doing, as it does not exist yet but rest assured, we will not be sitting on our laurels and hoping that people pop on by, we will be out generating business.

It is this very generation of business that lead me to this forum. After a brief period of reading here I felt that the members spoke their mind and we could at least get some good feedback and keep you, the locals, in the know about the plans, I hope that this is information that is interesting and our primary goal is to create a great pub, with fantastic food that can be a asset to the area.

Any questions, let me know. :) I'll be back later with the answers to the other questions and some feedback from the chef about the cask ale and the menu suggestions.

Cheers All!

Hi,

How exactly are you intending to get people in to eat there? Not roughly, but 'exactly'.

The previous couple did wonderful food, and their themed nights were great - but the pub isn't in an area where you get passing trade, there are no businesses around to support lunchtime food, so who exactly is going to come in and eat?

That's a serious question, not intended in a confrontational way. I would be absolutely amazed if the food was better than provided before - but I still don't think there's any easy solution to getting eaters in the pub. As far as standards go, the food on the themed nights they did was better than that provided in any of the nearby restaurants - it really was that good.

I really think the Plough needs to concentrate on getting drinkers in, before worrying about a menu. So far, the crowds inside are no better than the previous tenants had - so it doesn't look any more sustainable.

Ade

You have such a way with words..non confrontational?!

Yea the food was good before but probably too complicated for the venue. It was neither a restaurant nor a pub. Even great food isnt that good if eaten in a morgue.

I think if the new owners do consistent, decent pub food and good beer in a friendly welcoming atmosphere they'll do ok. This is all the Sportsman at Lodge Moor does and they do well- with even less passing trade and only a handful of houses within walking distance.

If they make little effort and dont deliver, they'll go the same way the Shiny Sheff has done for its last few tenants.

Archived