How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

I ate there last night. Had the best beef & potato in ale pie possibly ever! - more beef than potato. The mashed potato was scrummy and the sugar snap peas crisp and fresh, and the 'pan juice' gravy was the real deal. All for less than £6.

Trade seems to be picking up- there was a handful of other diners in there. If the food is always this good im sure it will start getting busy again soon. I hope so anyway.

No im not connected!...

Ripsaw will be back for more!

I might call in this lunch time.

What beers and lagers do they have and are they kid-friendly? (the owners, not the beers!)

I had a nice pint of Pale Rider - one of my favourites. Think they do Black Sheep aswell. I dont tend to look at the lagers.

I didnt witness any child beating when i was there!

I called in twice over the weekend and came away impressed each time.

The staff seem amiable, helpful and even cheerful! The beer and Guinness is superb (3 cask ales), great bar snacks (little Ploughman's lunch packs!) and I thought the place was clean (though not denying some refurb is long due).

I enquired about kids being allowed in and was told it was fine to bring them in. Sunday was busy with there being a Christening do.

So far so good - I wish the management/tenants well.

• 1 month later...

Well I think they've pulled it off!

Visited the Plough last Thursday evening and having been sceptical that the new tenants could do anything with this business, following the last managers, we were pleasantly surprised.

The pub was busy, even later after early diners had left, there's a modest selection of food on the menu, but the 3 starters and 4 mains that we had were of excellent quality..hats off to the home cooked chips, steak and the lamb shank which were particularly good.

The young bar man was very friendly and the lady serving us (I guess she was the landlady), was very attentive, smiley and seemed genuinely concerned that our visit was an enjoyable one.

My only grievance was the incongruous music which accompanied our meal...Nickelback just doesn't help the eating experience!

Well done guys, hope you reap the success you thoroughly deserve!

I wish to echo boyfriday's comments.

I had lunch in the Plough yesterday (16th July) and it was superb. The home cooked chips are possibly the nicest I've had in any pub! I only had a ham sandwich but it was top-notch. My wife had a very generously proportioned steak which was excellent too.

Add to this, the pub feels clean, the staff are cheerful and it's nice that there's a pool table where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a game (60p for one game, £1 for two!).

The beer is in fine fettle too, particularly the Abbot ale.

Their hard work looks to be paying off and I wish them success (although you're right, boyfriday, the music seems a little on the loud side).

I wish to echo boyfriday's comments.

I had lunch in the Plough yesterday (16th July) and it was superb. The home cooked chips are possibly the nicest I've had in any pub! I only had a ham sandwich but it was top-notch. My wife had a very generously proportioned steak which was excellent too.

Add to this, the pub feels clean, the staff are cheerful and it's nice that there's a pool table where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a game (60p for one game, £1 for two!).

The beer is in fine fettle too, particularly the Abbot ale.

Their hard work looks to be paying off and I wish them success (although you're right, boyfriday, the music seems a little on the loud side).

..we'll be accused of being men of a certain age next Ouse! Glad you enjoyed, we're hoping to get back soon to see what their Sunday lunches are like..might bump into you :)

Archived