How popular is The Plough Inn, Sandygate Road S10

goldenfleece

Yes, they closed last Monday. The people who had it wanted out, and are no longer running the pub. There was talk of a manager being brought in by the brewery to run it until new tenants/owners/whatever are found, but that hasn't happened yet.

Ade

Most strange as there is 1500 worth of stock still in the cellar.....I would have kept it open and sold off all the stock before it went out of date.....the lease has been withdrawn from private sale now due to some legal issues with Enterprize......

I dont remember the UPSTAIRS bar? What period was that? I do remember some balcony with a spiral staircase in the 1980's though, but did not know there was a bar upstairs

Hi,

I can see I wasn't clear enough about the upstairs bit - it was an upstairs area from the staircase as you remember - there was no bar in that bit.

Whatever has gone on between the previous people and the brewery, I hope it gets sorted soon so that the place re-opens - I#m missing the convenience of my local :(

Ade

Hi,

I can see I wasn't clear enough about the upstairs bit - it was an upstairs area from the staircase as you remember - there was no bar in that bit.

Whatever has gone on between the previous people and the brewery, I hope it gets sorted soon so that the place re-opens - I#m missing the convenience of my local :(

Ade

Ah yes I remember now from the mid 80's.......when did that section vanish was it a recent refurb?

Can anyone describe the layout when it became a 'fun pub' in 1982 to around 1987/88? I believe it was all painted dark brown with loads of coloured spotlights, cutaway ceiling areas, chains hanging from the roof, wooden floors, a bar with 50 p coins set under glass layers, etc.......been trying to find some pix as I practically lived in there 82 to 86, it was one of my 2 'locals' being midway between my house and the Rising Sun at Nethergreen.

A long time ago that!!! I was in quite often too, back then.

I remember the bar like that - a long bar like now, and at the rear was the stairway up to the small balcony area.

Since then it was redone to be 2 rooms, with a bar facing to the front and another facing to the back; both small bars. From what I've been told, when the current brewery took over, they consulted the locals who said they liked the 2 bar system, and promptly ignored them to bring back a long bar.

I like the bar the way it is, but for the pub as a whole there needs to be some major redecoration and removal of tatty, threadbare furniture and stuff.

Ade

I like the bar the way it is, but for the pub as a whole there needs to be some major redecoration and removal of tatty, threadbare furniture and stuff.

Ade

Agreed... It will never work with its present tired Pensioners' living room look..... its future lies with a very radical and complete transformation like Whitbread did in 1982.....the demographics of this area have changed drastically in the last 15 years and no one in this area has latched on to that fact at all, still catering for a market based very much in the 1990's that has effectively ebbed away to nothing....Watch this space, you never know what may happen........

The Plough is in a lovely location. I'd guess the view from the upstairs rooms over the cricket/football ground and beyond toward Ringinglow is lovely. I know from when I've been in Hallam FC's ground that it feels like a little piece of heaven (this on a summer's evening of course).

So why doesn't the pub have stronger ties with the World's Oldest Football Ground? If this is indeed a true claim, then it's one worth boasting and using to full effect in a marketing sense. Also, isn't Hallam FC supposed to be world's second oldest football club - after Sheffield FC? These are things that could put such a pub on the map and yet the pub sits screened off from the ground by an outer perimeter wall (and Sandygate Road).

The football club and pub should work together and provide something unique.

Archived